Motul X-Clean 8100 5W-30 - 3,500 miles - 2010 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is one expensive 3,500mi. OCI. You can't argue with those results though. Take it out to at least 7k next time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
That is one expensive 3,500mi. OCI. You can't argue with those results though. Take it out to at least 7k next time
smile.gif

Gotta keep it at 3,750 mi or less for warranty purposes.

Only $55 for oil change and tire rotation with the Motul isn't too bad. Especially because I park in a parking garage and dont have the opportunity to do my own oil changes.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll have lube related issues with UOA results like this. You could easily go 5k+. You'll be out of warranty in a few oil changes anyways, so might as well make full use of the money spent on this oil analysis and extend your oil changes now in order to benefit in the long run.

Originally Posted By: squareznboxez
thanks for posting, great to see results like this from a good oil. may i ask how many total miles on the car?

Around 45k total miles on the car.

IMO, this oil would be a good choice for 2011/2012 Subaru turbo owners that want to run a thick SM 5W-30 for warranty purposes. Especially since those model years can go to 7,500 mile intervals. I can get this for $40 locally so it's not that expensive IMO.

The zinc seems high though. Either this was reformulated from the last uoa that I saw on AZP Installs web site, or Blackstone's numbers are off (Blackstone's zinc is usually lower). Any idea how old the oil is? X-clean C3 5W-30 is mid-SAPS according to Motul.com and the zinc seems too high for mid-SAPS.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
IMO, this oil would be a good choice for 2011/2012 Subaru turbo owners that want to run a thick SM 5W-30 for warranty purposes. Especially since those model years can go to 7,500 mile intervals. I can get this for $40 locally so it's not that expensive IMO.

The zinc seems high though. Either this was reformulated from the last uoa that I saw on AZP Installs web site, or Blackstone's numbers are off (Blackstone's zinc is usually lower). Any idea how old the oil is? X-clean C3 5W-30 is mid-SAPS according to Motul.com and the zinc seems too high for mid-SAPS.

-Dennis

I sent the sample the day after it was pulled (by AZP Installs). USPS then lost it for 20 or so days before finally delivering it to Blackstone.

Originally Posted By: Messier77
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

-Dennis

I sent the sample the day after it was pulled (by AZP Installs). USPS then lost it for 20 or so days before finally delivering it to Blackstone.

Never mind, I'm an idiot....you were asking about the age of the bottles of oil used, not the age of the sample. I'm not sure. You should ask Mike (from AZP) about his Motul turnover and when he last ordered.

Hmm, Mike sells both the 5W-30 and 5W-40 and he always has fresh stock from his distributor and his 7,500 mile uoa is here. I'm guessing that this is definitely the newer C3. His zinc was 890 which sounds more in line with a Mid-SAPS 5W-30 oil. I'm not sure if a 40 grade Mid-SAP would automatically have higher zinc.

The starting viscosity on the 5W-30 is 12.0 and the 5W-40 is 14.1. But you're saying this is the 5W-30? Your tested viscosity does sound about right if it started at 12.0. I ran this once, but didn't do a uoa since I had valve cover gaskets replaced during the interval. Might have to give it another go!

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back