new Genuine Stella 2T...what 2T & gearbox oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to get a vintage style scooter, a leftover 2009 Genuine Stella 2T (like older Vespa P-series) with manual transmission; as usual the owner's manual is vague and somewhat outdated...1) for engine lubrication is calls for a motorcycle grade 2-stroke oil, and 2) for gearbox lubrication is calls for 30wt motor oil...further research clarifies non-detergent 30wt motor oil; my Genuine dealer pre-filled with BelRay mineral 2T oil (lists API TC, JASO FB)

my local AAP carries Havoilne 2-cycle engine oil, annotating multiple purpose with marine certifications [TC-W3, TC-WII, TC-W], general use [API TC], and curiously a JASO M 345 FB designation [2-stroke motorcycle/powersports]; here is the PDS:

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=76849&docFormat=PDF

good stuff? stick with BelRay? something else that is 'low-ash' instead of 'ashless' (which the Havoline PDS indicates)?

and then what to use in the gearbox from the 21st century (which lubes are yellow metal friendly)?

Last edited:
I have one. Just like this. Get the Prima expansion pipe. Kinda expensive, but huge performance gains.

Stay away from water cooled oils or dual certified oils.

I use Motul, Redline, and Maxima oils in my two strokes. Go to a good dirty bike shop and get some good oil. Or order online. Well worth it.

Gearcase, I use Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic.

thanks for the reply...just 2 questions to clarify:

1) is the BelRay 2T mineral in the 'good' category for you?

2) have you noticed any problems with the Mobil 1 gear oil in the transmission (yellow metal reactivity concern)?

No, I wouldn't consider Bel Ray good. Nope. But you're not gonna screw anything up by running this tank out of gas either.

But I'd get some good oil. Like the ones I mentioned above. Just order some from Amazon and be done with it.

Get this pipe....you'll love it.

http://www.scooterworks.com/performance-exhaust--prima-p125--px150--stella-2t-products-8742.php

Maxima K2
Motul 800
Redline

All great oils I've used with much success.

No problems with the M1 in the gearcase. I've ran straight 30wt oils as well. Seen no difference. My 1986 Honda Elite 250 says to use 30wt. Never did. Only M1 75w90 or something similar in weight.

Last edited:
I use Stihl HP Ultra in my two stroke scooter (Honda Elite 50)

Ever since I ran out of Mobil1 MX2T it's been my choice.

HP ultra smells better. no noticeable difference in performance.

I'm not being argumentative, but I have a few more questions...

about the Amsoil 10w-40...I was told to stay away from oils with detergents due to possibility of foaming...how does the Amsoil 10w-40 differ from detergent oils?

about the Amsoil HP Injector...the shop where I got my Stella ran the HP Injector in their own Stella and had leakage problems, so they switched to the Belray 2T and the leaks stopped; for now, I'm gonna use Honda GN2 injector/premix 2T (guessing it's conventional which I want to use for break-in & less expensive than the BelRay stuff)

about the Stihl HP Ultra...where to get it?

about the upgraded pipe...thanks, but staying stock to maintain warranty for the first year

Leakage with hp injector? Hmm... I've never had an issue. what about considering dominator? And amsoil makes a great transmission fluid as well. "Amsoil advanced synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil is engineered for maximum performance in 4 stroke engines and motorcycle transmissons,both 2 and 4 stroke. It is wet clutch compatable and feaures eccelent heat resistance and wear peotection. Amsoil sythetic 10w 40 motorcycle oil is shear stable. It stops viscosity breakdown protects gears and meet SAE 80w/90 api gl1 oil requirements" quoted from a bottle of amsoil 10w40

oh...the motorcycle oil! DUH! I was thinking Amsoil PCMO! I'll look into it when I pick it up from the shop this week after its latest electrical gremlin repair (long story, don't wanna go into it); the shop ran out of Dominator, so I got the Honda GN2 stuff from the shop that takes care of my Yamaha V Star (Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer);

I probed the shop owners about the 'HP Injector' leak since that's what they told me to use when I had a 2T Genuine Rattler last year...all they can say it was leaking when they used HP Injector and it stopped when they emptied the tank and replaced it with BelRay mineral 2T oil (Genuine Scooters tech support told them it's what they recommended); I'm wondering if there is something in the HP Injector that might screw with older seals...besides it's been relabeled and remarketed for marine use (TCW3 rated vs FC/FD rated)

Oh thinking of pcmo. Haha its not the detergents you wanna worry about in pcmo,its the friction modifiers. I have a 1995 arctic cat snowmobile and I just switched it over to hp injector last winter. I haven't had any leakage issues with it. If your shop is outta dominator just buy it online and save yourself a couple bucks.

thumbsup2.gif

I love that scooter.

I'm really surprised that Genuine Motor Scooters didn't just discard the LML India manual and print a more detailed manual of their own with specific recommendations.

Do not use Stihl oil in your Stella. Geez!!

Get some good oil. Maxima K2 or Redline.

Oil leaks are so common on these Stellas. Many leak when you first fill them up. You have to track down the source of the leak....tighten clamp, replace gasket/seal, etc. Leak has NOTHING to do with oil.

You don't need to use sub-par oil to break in your engine....just keep the RPM's low for a few hours.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

Do you have any reason to make a statement like that? What is Stihl two stroke oil designed to do that wouldnt work in a moped? What do the brands you recommended do that Stihl synthetic two stroke wont do?

Originally Posted By: car54
Originally Posted By: Phishin

Do you have any reason to make a statement like that? What is Stihl two stroke oil designed to do that wouldnt work in a moped? What do the brands you recommended do that Stihl synthetic two stroke wont do?

Who makes Stihl's private label oil? Hmmmm?

Who the heck is Omni? How much research do they put in their products? How many 2T race teams do they sponsor? I don't trust Omni....I don't know who they are.

Last edited:
I am probably coming off as pompous and arrogant, but I hope not. I am a scooter fanatic and I love 2-stroke's....it's a passion.

I have some nice 2-stroke engines (in scooters) and I have friends who have extremely nice engines as well. Some of them have over $15k in their engines alone....these are Scandanavian Super-Kart engines. I have done my research and I know what my buddies run. I'm only speaking from experience and what my friends run as well.

These are engines that are torn-down completely quite often, so deposits and wear are inspected continually. Maxima K2, Redline, and Motul 8100 have given them all the best results. I'd like to see your Stella stay on the road for a long time. Run the best you can afford and stay away from Bel Ray.

after posting here and on modern buddy forum (stella section), I have decided to use:

2T oil: BelRay 2T mineral oil and/or Honda GN2 2 stroke oil, both of are designated for motorcycles, can be used in injector systems (autolube), and I have on hand...

BelRay 2T mineral oil: http://www.belray.com/sites/default/files/pds_files/Bel-Ray 2T Mineral Engine Oil.pdf

Honda GN2 oil: (listed on page 3) http://motorcycle.honda.ca/Content/motor...ications-en.pdf

gearbox: Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil (which is also rated for use as an 80w-90 GL-1 gear oil) which my shop had on hand; they ran out of the Amsoil 75w-90 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (GL-4 rated) that is usually used for Stella gearbox oil changes...

Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2089.pdf

Amsoil Manual Transmission/Transaxle Lube: http://motorcycle.honda.ca/Content/motor...ications-en.pdf

I know you've already made up your mind, but I hope you read this and think about your 2T oil choice in the future.

1.) Why use an oil that is "dual" rated for water and air cooled engines. These are two completely different beasts. If an oil can be formulated to do both, IT HAS TO INFERIOR TO AN OIL DEDICATED TO ONE OR THE OTHER.

2.) No one that you got advice from has any or sufficient tear down experience looking at deposits in these motors.

3.) If you are going to spend that much money on a nice 2T scooter, why skimp on the oil? These motor can last a very long time, but will fail and usually from one thing: crudded up engines from inferior oil.

These scoots haven't been made in years. They are still selling old stock. Replacement rings, pistons, jugs are gonna be tough and pricey to replace. Good luck.

Quote:
If you are going to spend that much money on a nice 2T scooter, why skimp on the oil?

1) unfortunately I already have a few quarts purchased and can't return them since I lost a few receipts during the last garbage run; also giving them away is ridiculous only to spend more money again on new stuff...

2) after paying bills, my funds are running very low and spending money on stuff I don't need is not a good thing, especially when payday is almost 2 full weeks away...

someone mentioned Stihl oil and I went to a Stihl dealer and looked over the stuff, but I have 1 glaring question...

isn't that stuff designed for Pre-Mix? I thought that Pre-Mix only is thicker than injector stuff and might not flow as well in the autolube system?

I wanted to update this in case anyone actually gives a flying #%$&...

the shop that sold me 3 quarts of Belray 2T mineral allowed me to return them and pay the difference, so I grabbed 3 quarts of Amsoil Interceptor, so now I have some synthetic on hand once I use what's in the tank and the opened containers of Honda GN2 and Yamahalube 2S that I had around from recent purchases and leftover from my 2009 Genuine Rattle 110 I had last year...

goodbye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back