what year cylinder head will work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the dreaded "0331" head cracking.
frown.gif
First, make sure the coolant in the oil didn't kill the bearings. A 1996-98 4.0 head will work, just need some creativity to mount the coil-packs.

Yup, 0331 was 99 and 00.

Basically an inferior metallurgy was used, the head develops micro cracks that usually only show up when hot, and end result is coolant leaking into the oil (usually).

If it's not knocking now, then with a new head and fresh oil it should be fine, just might not make it to 400k.
smile.gif

Chevyboy, I'd use any head from 01-04. They solved the issue by the 01 model year, and I think all of those would be an exact fit. I've also read some threads elsewhere that a 98 was used with success.

Check with a junkyard for compatability, but definitely avoid 99 and 00.

Last edited:
theres no coolant in the oil only smokes and overheats very quick and runs like [censored]. oreilly website shows different part number 2432 and 2434 whats the difference. his has a distributor. i know my moms 2000 had coil packs

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
i really need to elaborate on blew a head? lol it means it cracked and is no good.

Yeah, you do, because that's terminology no one uses. Well, no one except you obviously.

Can you confirm it's a 1999? 1999 didn't have the cracking-prone heads, it was 2000 and 2001.

Easy way to tell is: does it have a coil rail or a distributor?

A 1999 can't accidentally come with an 0331 head as the 2000 used different exahust ports.

With that said, 4.0 realy don't like to be ovearheated. Any year of them can crack / warp the head if it gets too hot. But the 2000 and 2001 are more prone to it.

Also, even on the older than 2000, they don't blow head gaskets, they crack heads.

Last edited:
Clearwater Cylinder Head manufactures a brand new Jeep 4.0L head that is strengthened to prevent cracking. I think those heads cost $500.

We had a head crack right in the combustion chamber and sent it out to be fixed.
The guys at the shop drilled holes along the crack, then tapped them , screwed in plugs, then ground them down!!
What an insane thing to do for water jacketed parts , esp in a combustion chamber!
I would not believe it if I did not see it.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
i really need to elaborate on blew a head? lol it means it cracked and is no good.

Yeah, you do, because that's terminology no one uses. Well, no one except you obviously.

well around where i live if you say my (insert car) blew a head everyone knows what you mean. sorry you didnt know but i still think its pretty obvious as most people on here understood. and yes its a 99 yes it has a distrib and yes he did overheat it.

Nice article stongt; I was wrong on the year that could be used.

To Miller88: for the record my '99 had the 0331 head and developed cracks.

To OP: check with a junkyard for replacements, and check the model year of the vehicle. I thought all 99 and up were distributorless.

Last edited:
Was it a grand cherokees?

99-01/2 WJ Grand cherokees had the bad head
00-01 XJs had the bad head

I'm not sure what year they made the change to COP on the TJ, but they had the bad head for a year or two.

If you have the distributor, your head will have the 0630 casting #. Those are not as prone to cracking. Any 91-98 head should work on yours. The 0331 head is found on 4.0Ls with the coil rail ignition.

1999 Grand Cherokees started using the COP ignition system, and it wasn't used in the Cherokee and Wrangler until 2000. Some late year 1999 Cherokee and Wranglers have the COP ignition, but there are very few of them.

If he overheated it I suggest replacing the cooling system to prevent this from happening again. Mine ran hot when I first bought it. Went through the cooling system and upgraded to a CSF 3 core radiator. Now the temp barely goes over 209* on a hot summer day according to my Scan Gauge II.

If its a 99, 2000, 2001 or early 2002 Grand Cherokee, yes it has the crack prone 0331 Cylinder head, otherwise it is the 2000 and 2001 Cherokees that have the crack prone 0331 cylinder head. If there are cast iron exhaust manifolds you have the 0331. Tubular headers were used on prior 91 thru 99(7130, 0630 heads). I am currently porting a 92 4.0 cylinder head for my project 2000 Cherokee that I bought(Knowingly) with a badly cracked 0331 head. The most common place for the 0331 head to crack is On Top between #3 and #4 exhaust ports. You can usually see the crack with the engine running looking through the oil fill hole in the valve cover. The crack on my Jeeps 0331 head was about 1 1/4" long and you could see the coolant flowing out of it when the engine was running. Some coil pack brackets will need to be fashioned as there arent any bosses to bolt the coil pack down on earlier 91 thru 99 cylinder heads.

Also, there is a coolant sensor that will need to be taken out and pluged on the rear drivers side of earlier91 thru 95 7130 heads. 0630(96 thru 98) heads have this as well, but 99 year 0630 heads do not have this. Also your 2000 block will have two alignment dowels on the passenger(lifter) side, one at front one at back, so depending on what year head you replace it with, some material will need to be ground away so alignment dowels wont push cylinder head out of alignment. Alabama Cylinder Heads, ClearWater Cylinder Heads or Late 2002 thru 2006 TUPY stamped 0331 cylinder heads would be the easiest and maby best replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back