how much coolant???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 oldsmobile alero with a 2.4L engine. I want to do a drain and fill before winter, and need to know how many gallons of coolant i need for a 50/50 mix. thanks. I dont have an owners manual.

The rule of thumb, that has stood the test of time, is 2 gallons is needed for a drain and refill of a V8, 1-1/2 gal. for a V6 and 1 gal. for a 4 cylinder.

I second the concerns about getting all of the old coolant out before refilling with fresh. Simply draining the old, refilling with water only, distilled water preferably, then running the engine for a bit, then draining again will help a lot. Sometimes a second drain and refill with water is needed to get it to drain out clean. This precludes a need to fool around with engine block drain plugs and flushes old coolant from throughout the entire cooling system.

The necessity for the water flush depends upon past maintenance practices for that cooling system. Leaving old Dex-Cool in a cooling system can lead to real problems later on.

Keith

thanks guys. It does not have a radiator cap, so i'm not even sure about the drain plug lol. may need to just take it and have it done. .

Originally Posted By: Ransomed Knight
thanks guys. It does not have a radiator cap, so i'm not even sure about the drain plug lol. may need to just take it and have it done. .

Whoa! No radiator cap? Gotta have one - this a pressurized system. No cap, it doesn't work right. Buy the right cap first.

Now, not being familiar with your car, the cap may be installed on a reservoir (not just an overflow tank) that is pressurized rather than on the radiator itself. But somewhere, there is a cap........ or should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back