Leaky elbow to the belt tensioner assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '96 Buick Park avenue has a 3800 II, and has quite the coolant leak. I looked inside and saw where it appears to be leaking. I don't have the tools to fix it myself (no wrenches at all...), but would it be fair to tell the mechanic, based on the pictures, that it is probably just leaking coolant because of a faulty o-ring?

The bit about the elbow also looks corroded, but I'm not sure what it is or if it is a problem.

XbRywh.jpg

P5sKOh.jpg

jdLq8h.jpg

NLyE7h.jpg

It is a plastic elbow and the back halk has craked and the o ring is not sealing anymore. Standard higher millage problem and an easy fix. The elbows are available everywhere and it takes about an hour tops to replace and refill with coolant from start to finish

That elbow is likely the leak point based on the pics. However, the sealing surfaces of the intake manifold to the cylinder heads and the upper intake manifold itself (at the EGR port - it has a cooling jacket) are also fail points on these engines.

Actually, in the last 20,000 miles (120k now), I've already had that problem with the intake manifold.

those elbos are plastic and they split or break where they enter the engine. the coolant for The heater does go through the bracket. the new parts are around $20 and an hrs labor.

I just replaced my belt tensioner in my 3800 II and replaced the elbows as well. They weren't leaking but they are plastic and eventually will.

They are only a couple bucks a piece.

Your last picture shows a bit of green coolant ABOVE the plastic elbow. So it may be the intake manifold gasket is not sealing properly? Perhaps the manifold needs retorquing? Who did the work (they may guarantee their work or cut you a break on redoing it)? To answer your question, yes there are O-rings on each end of the plastic elbow, when I did my intake manifold gaskets on my 2000 Buick Park Avenue I just replaced the O-rings. If there is any doubt of the plastics integrity replacment plastic elbows come with new O-rings. Good luck.

Alex_509

You do have coolant above the elbow, as both you and bobo23 have correctly pointed out. I know you don't have the tools to deal with this issue, nor perhaps the know-how, but you can go further with the diagnosis than what you have so far.

Clean off the antifreeze, thoroughly, by flushing the area with some water, followed by a wiping with a rag. Then start the engine and let it warm up, building up pressure in the cooling system at the same time. When it's at the normal operating temperature, turn off the engine. Now check around that elbow, and above, to see where the coolant is coming from.

Ideally you would have an inspection mirror, about $10 at AutoZone, and a very good light source, so that you can search every nook and cranny that you normally wouldn't be able to see. If you're brave, and smart about, it you can check that area while the engine runs. Use extreme caution though, when attempting that.

Keith

Last edited:
In a situation like this you don't ever want to go to a repair shop and tell them what to fix. Tell them what symptoms you're experiencing and then wait for their diagnosis before authorizing the repair. There are some dishonest shops that will replace the part that you pointed out knowing full well that that isn't the problem, then will charge you for the correct fix. Let them figure it out so they will "own" that repair.

Nice photos by the way, that makes helping someone so much easier and more precise.

Keith

It definitely looks like there is coolant above the elbow in that picture. I'd have the LIM gaskets/sealing surfaces checked. Looks like they may have done a poor job. Coolant elbows are very common on those engines. I like to use the OEM elbows, the aftermarket ones dont seal as well. I find i have to put a thin coat of RTV around the o ring to seal it well.

Last edited:
Right.
We are not supposed to have to use additional sealer, but $0.002 of RTV ensures a leak free job.
Parts have to be clean either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back