Best oil for 1992 Lexus SC300 with 200k - burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

cab

Thank you all in advance for suggestions to help me out with this. I have a 1992 Lexus SC300 with 200k miles, it burns 1 Qt of 10-30 oil every 2500 miles. Best oil ideas? Thx!

Have you done a compression test?

I would try a Auto-Rx clean and then rinse phase. It may clean out the ring pack. And that may allow the rings to seal better.

Try that before you move to a HM oil.

The oil burning is on the high side, but not crazy high.

1 QT every 2,500 miles wouldn't qualify for any warranty work on a new car...it's just not that bad...

Use whatever you like, but change it reasonably often. You could use a HM mileage with 200K on the odo, but no worries either way. The Auto Rx might work, but honestly, your consumption is not that bad...

Thx Astro, it's a good car and I want it to last, I haven't played with HM oil yet but will give it a try and see it that helps.

I would use a high-mileage full synthetic, and change it at the recommended 5k miles. Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30 would be a good choice that is widely available.

A quart every 2500 on a 20 yr old Toyota-based straight six is not oil consumption, as said before. It's totally normal. Mfgr's wouldn't cover that on a new car.

There isn't anything amiss in that regard; I wouldn't worry about it. That engine is pretty indestructible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back