2012 VW jetta 2.5 winter weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys/gals,

Picked up a 2012 VW Jetta sportswagen with the 2.5L engine, right around 7000 miles on it. Dealer says they serviced it with Valvoline Synpower 5w-40.

Oil looks clean etc but I want to change it just for piece of mind.

This car specs VW 502.00 in 5w-30 or 5w-40. Being the car is in MN and winter can be a beast, what do you all recommend for oil? Would 5w-40 be too thick for the winter?

Car is garaged @ night but will be outside all day while I am at work.

Thanks !

Last edited:
We haven't had our VW 2.5 for a while now, but unless they changed it, the timing chain was a factor if running long OCIs.

I don't think you need a 5w-40. We only needed a 30 in ours. But I would pick something that can put up with that timing chain.

FWIW, the nicest oil we ever ran in ours was Shaeffers Supreme 7000 10w-30. It didn't have official 502 approval, but 502 is easy to meet, and it ran as quiet as a church mouse on it with zero usage. Lovely oil.

Enjoy the new JSW.

IIRC correct, not too many 502 30 weight oils available OTC; perhaps some new ones on the scene, Pennzoil Euro, but a few years ago, it was slim pickens.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Hey guys/gals,

Picked up a 2012 VW Jetta sportswagen with the 2.5L engine, right around 7000 miles on it. Dealer says they serviced it with Valvoline Synpower 5w-40.

Oil looks clean etc but I want to change it just for piece of mind.

This car specs VW 502.00 in 5w-30 or 5w-40. Being the car is in MN and winter can be a beast, what do you all recommend for oil? Would 5w-40 be too thick for the winter?

Car is garaged @ night but will be outside all day while I am at work.

Thanks !

Can you get an 0W-30 or 0W-40?

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I would run M1 0w-40 in it.

This is the answer. I run M1 0W-40 in my wife's 2.5L since it was new. And in my 2.8L VR6. And in my 1.8L Miata motor. And in my 3.4L Tacoma motor.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

This is the answer. I run M1 0W-40 in my wife's 2.5L since it was new. And in my 2.8L VR6. And in my 1.8L Miata motor. And in my 3.4L Tacoma motor.

robert

I agree!

I have been looking at Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro spec and it looks like a great oil. I can also get Castrol slx pro 5w-30 online, anyone ever run it? It is listed a sthe OEM 5w-30 for VW.

2 questions I also have:

1) I know Mobile 1 0w-40 is vw 502 certified but, being a 0w oil when the manual specifically spec's 5w-x for year round use, will I ever run into warranty issues if I have engine trouble? I ask because I have a 8 year 100K warranty thru VW.

2) What oil filter has everyone had the best luck with? I can order Mann, Hengst, Meyle or genuine VW online. I'd like to stick with a German filter if possible as the store brands such as STP, Fram, Mobil 1 etc just didn't impress me.

Last edited:
Another vote for...M-1 0w40...for year-round use. IMO, this oil is one of the best available....with many UOA's to prove it. Perfect for those cold Minnesota winters.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
IIRC correct, not too many 502 30 weight oils available OTC; perhaps some new ones on the scene, Pennzoil Euro, but a few years ago, it was slim pickens.

GC is VW 502.00 and labeled a 30, but it's a very heavy 30.

We ran that in our 2.5, and it ran quite nicely on it.

But that Schaeffers 7000 was the best in it.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
2 questions I also have:

1) I know Mobile 1 0w-40 is vw 502 certified but, being a 0w oil when the manual specifically spec's 5w-x for year round use, will I ever run into warranty issues if I have engine trouble? I ask because I have a 8 year 100K warranty thru VW.

I wouldn't worry. M1 0w-40 is on the official VW approved oil list.

http://home.comcast.net/~popov1/vwoil.pdf

Quote:

2) What oil filter has everyone had the best luck with? I can order Mann, Hengst, Meyle or genuine VW online. I'd like to stick with a German filter if possible as the store brands such as STP, Fram, Mobil 1 etc just didn't impress me.

Mann/Mahle makes OEM filters for VW. They should work well in your application.

Mann/Mahle makes OEM filters for VW. They should work well in your application.

I'm not so sure of that anymore. The last batch of VW filters we picked up were made in France and chevron-pleated. They may be sourcing with Sogefi.

Still, you generally can not go wrong with Mann, Mahle or Hengst in anything.

Right. A very good choice. Maybe their est oil. Plus, it is obtainable!

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
but unless they changed it, the timing chain was a factor if running long OCIs.

How so? Our 08 2.5L loves M1 0w-40 and it is a great year-round oil.

Thanks for all the info guys. I just ordered some OEM VW filters and will pick up some Mobil 1 0w-40 to give a run for winter. I can get Castrol 0w-30GC but it's $9 a Qt around me VS $5.85 for the Mobil.

@ JHZR2- I think Volvohead was referring to the earlier 2.5's (2005.5-2007). When I was reseaching my Jetta before purchasing I ran across multiple threads on that. It was fixed in more recent years with updated timing chain guides etc.

That's right Huie83.

The early ones exhibited some unwanted shear down with folks straying too far from a high-quality oil. Not really a worry with more robust oils like GC or M1 0w-40. This engine is otherwise a big jolly pussycat.

Glad to hear VAG fixed it.

Thanks for the clarification Volvohead.

Right on about this engine, have to say I love the 2.5 so far. It has a very distinct grumble when getting on the throttle a bit, mine is a 5 speed so its actually quite fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back