Honda OE oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
i.e. the blue cans the dealer uses when you get your oil changed at the dealership

Are the any good? Do we know who makes them? Should I feel comfortable using these for a 10k OCI on a 4 cyl engine?

There are two; one ending in A01 and one ending in A02. To my understanding, the A01 filters are made by Filtech and use a cellulose type filtering media. They are generally highly-regarded. The A02 filters are made by Honeywell and use a standard pleated paper filtering media. Both filters use silicone ADBVs and o-ring gaskets (instead of the square section rubber seal). Both also come plastic-sealed.

A Honda dealer may not use either when servicing your vehicle; they may use any number of other brands of filters. The Honda dealer near me is a Valvoline shop, and the cars they service get the appropriate grade of Valvoline oil and a Valvoline oil filter. They even use the Valvoline MaxLife ATF instead of the genuine Honda ATF. Your dealer MAY be using a genuine Honda filter, but my guess is that unless you ask specifically for it, and pay specifically for it, they'll use an aftermarket filter.

I had done some research on this topic for our Accord. I found that there were better choices for less money than the 15400-PLM-A02 (Fram) filter spec'd for this car.

I had looked at this along with other info:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12206

I prefer and use the Wix 51356 for our car. With that said, your car won't explode using the OE filter, thousands installed each day. But if there is a better choice especially with the longer OCI you want, maybe worth consideration. I also just bought 8 MC FL822's on clearance that I will be using along with my Wix stash, gives me a lot of filters but then I go with very short 4K OCI's.

Purolator P1 . Buy 6 at a time from aap and use a123 as a coupon code. With the current sale they will be 6 for $20. Little over $3 each . Will run a 10k oci without an issue and better filtration.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Your dealer MAY be using a genuine Honda filter, but my guess is that unless you ask specifically for it, and pay specifically for it, they'll use an aftermarket filter.

I checked both of my cars and my local dealer does indeed use the Honda filters - not sure if A01 or A02.

I have already changed the filter on my Accord to a Purolator Classic on its last oil change, but I'm not looking to run an extended OCI on it. The Fit is nearing 7k on the current oil from the dealer. Haven't purchased an oil filter for it yet.

I used blue Honda Honeywell built filters for a few oil changes on my 2008 Odyssey. Got them at my closest Honda dealer parts counter for around $7/ea. I cut my used filters open for inspection and the Honeywell ones are built well and were intact after ~7500mi of use.

I recently bought a box of 4 blue Honda filters built by Filtec for ~$27 from eBay. The seem to be heavier than the Honeywells. Just did an oil change. I'm only 500-1000miles into one at the moment. I like the Honda filters because the overall exterior size of the filer is larger than all the aftermarket ones I've used.

Joel

I just id a grand subjective experiment on my Honda Fit. Either the WIX 57356 or the AC delco PF2057 (Champ) Honda spec filter work extremely well. The Honda blue Honeywell A02 didnt run right on my car - unless you like tons of engine noise and no power and bad fuel mileage. The wix51356 did not run right on this car either (Honda Fit L15A7 GE-08). I even looked into nissan OEM service filters (as most asian cars* run the same filter) but they were poorly made chinese junk.

* At one point many popular Honda, Subaru, Nissan and some mazda APPS used the same spec filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I just id a grand subjective experiment on my Honda Fit. Either the WIX 57356 or the AC delco PF2057 (Champ) Honda spec filter work extremely well. The Honda blue Honeywell A02 didnt run right on my car - unless you like tons of engine noise and no power and bad fuel mileage. The wix51356 did not run right on this car either (Honda Fit L15A7 GE-08). I even looked into nissan OEM service filters (as most asian cars* run the same filter) but they were poorly made chinese junk.

* At one point many popular Honda, Subaru, Nissan and some mazda APPS used the same spec filter.

Have you tried the P1 14610 for your Fit ? Ive had great luck with that filter on my gf's Civic. No more cold start rattle.

Originally Posted By: Mud

I like how that person did absolutely zero filter testing, and bases 100% of the conclusions made on a visual inspection of each filter. The person equates an Advance Auto total grip to a red-painted PureOne minus the silicone ADBV which, to my knowledge of the filter media used, is not the case at all. They also condemn the Amsoil and Mobil 1 filters on filter area alone. No testing is done on the actual performance of the bypass valves or tension springs, of which a few are condemned upon visual inspection.

It's merely a set of observations, almost like trying to assess a tire's performance by looking at the tread pattern. A few very general correlations and predictions could possibly be made, but shouldn't be revered as anything other than such, and based on visual observations only.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Mud

I like how that person did absolutely zero filter testing, and bases 100% of the conclusions made on a visual inspection of each filter. The person equates an Advance Auto total grip to a red-painted PureOne minus the silicone ADBV which, to my knowledge of the filter media used, is not the case at all. They also condemn the Amsoil and Mobil 1 filters on filter area alone. No testing is done on the actual performance of the bypass valves or tension springs, of which a few are condemned upon visual inspection.

It's merely a set of observations, almost like trying to assess a tire's performance by looking at the tread pattern. A few very general correlations and predictions could possibly be made, but shouldn't be revered as anything other than such, and based on visual observations only.

Well said!

If the media and media performance isn't in the evaluation, it's not a complete evaluation. I didn't read the linked evaluation (frankly, that type of evaluation is getting tiresome as I learn more about filters and another one was a fecal sandwich I couldn't handle this morning) but if they dismiss a depth type synthetic media like an Amsoil or M1, because it doesn't "appear" to be as much area, then they don't know enough to evaluate filters at all and anything else they say is suspect (how's that for a run-on sentence?).

Generally, for the benefit of those that might not know:

Cellulose media, the more common type, which comes in a large number of configurations, is a surface loaded media. It carries contaminants mostly on or near the surface of the media. In order to maintain a satisfactory level of contaminant capacity and flow, good cellulose media will have lots of area. That's accomplished dimensionally (a larger element package) and by using pleats to increase surface area.

Synthetic media is a depth loaded media, meaning it carries the contaminants on the surface as well as inside itself. Per square inch of media, a synthetic can carry more contaminants, flows better and is more efficient.

The filter designers know all this, so they base the media area on the performance characteristics of the media chosen and the designed operational life for the filter. Depending on which media you compare, you could have a smaller filter (less media in every respect) that has better efficiency, better flow and more capacity than a larger one.

So... if you don't know anything about the media performance, you don't know enough to evaluate the filter except very superficially.

Seems to me, all you gotta do to get a "pass" from the "Eyeball Expert Evaluators" is to have a silicone ADBV, metal endcaps and a lot of media. None of that hurts but it's only part of the picture.

As stated, there is an A-01 and an A-02, in this area the dealers choose the Fram made A-02. Recent testing by Amsoil shows that filter to be ~ 65%@20um, in other words not very efficient. A finding that was seemingly confirmed on a recent visit to the Fram labs.

The A-01 Filtech is a no end cap design filter, and while I've seen no published/documented efficiency, river_rats testing showed this type filter also not to be very efficient.

As for whether you should feel comfortable using them 10k, if Honda says they can go two oci's then they must think so. Me, I prefer to start with a more efficient filter like the P1, Wix even a Tough Guard over the oem blue cans.

Guess what I'm saying is, while using the Honda oems is ok, I wouldn't go out of my way for either, not with other more efficient aftermarket oil filter available (like those mentioned above) at reasonable prices.

The Japanese manufacturers have typically preferred filters that are low in efficiency but high on capacity. The domestic manufacturers have typically preferred filters that are higher on efficiency but lower on capacity. This is from a Purolator engineer. I believe that is one of the reasons that some of the smaller Purolators (generally fitting Japanese engines) are rated at 40 microns instead of at 20 microns. The filtering media is a different media.

Use whatever you are comfortable with. I bought 5 A02 filters from a forum member a few weeks back for something like $3.50/filter. I'm not sure I'd pay much more than that for one, but it's a decent price for a known decent filter with a silicone ADBV, which Honda apparently thinks is important enough to specify for both of their genuine filters.

I heard a reason from a Fram engineer why the A-02 and other Honda oems have such low efficiency, something do with certification of vehicles there (Japan) for only a short time, and then shipped off the island. They may have been a past consideration and/or present, not sure. But, I believe the low efficiency rating Amsoil published to be true.

As for oem favoring capacity, difficult for me to imagine either oem blue is rated higher capacity than the 13 grams the P1 advertises. In any case, while I've let the dealer do some intial oc's using the A-02 just to establish a relationship, since then it's been all P1, with the exception of this one which is 2 oci's on a Bosch D+. The latter 2 oci's is more of an experiment. Just me, but I'd rather go with with a higher efficiency filter with a good holding capacity right from the get go.

just put in my last A-01. Purchased a bunch online awhile back. Probable wont go through the trouble again and instead switch back to Amsoil or Mobil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back