The 686, 357, one of my favs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 357 is a very very good weapon. You will not get the statement it will make your opponent mad if you shoot him with this gun, no your opponent will be going down,imho. the x wife carries this one with a 4 inch barrel. We both shoot it , but not at each other,lol.

It is smooth in action, and highly accurate. So, if your wife likes pistols, this one will stop anyone if need be. Pistols are a matter of choice, repeat, pistols are your choice, so here you go, enjoy.

Last edited:
The 686 is the Cadillac....when I was getting into police work in 98 I wanted one with a purple passion, but couldn't find one for a good price- so I went with a GLOCK 17....GREAT wheelgun though.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
A 3 inch 7 shot 686 is pretty hard to beat in an all around weapon.
10 4

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
You will not get the statement it will make your opponent mad if you shoot him with this gun, no your opponent will be going down,imho.

Just to dispel the myth that the .357 is some death dealing ray gun, read THIS. That's not to say that that is the normal physical response to being shot with a .357 caliber round(s), but it's not a guarantee that that you'll stop the attack and emerge unscathed.

Also, if you think that the info in the link is false, you can search Google for "Trooper Mark Coates", and you will find dash cam footage.

Sounds fishy to me,,5 shots to the chest, no center mass mentioned,no report, mmmm yep sounds fishy.

Sounds fishy to me,,5 shots to the chest, no center mass mentioned,no report, mmmm yep sounds fishy.

To add to my own comment above, I found many reports where several shots to the chest did not kill the badguy. Bullets act strange sometimes in many of the reports, it is an eyeopener. 9mm rounds get a bad rap, conclusion, it takes many 9mm rounds to kill someone . bottom line, the corner said use a shotgun to the chest, way more lethal.

In all fairness, I believe the man involved in the trooper shooting was a pretty big guy and could probably absorb some lead. I didn't say that this was typical, but as the trooper learned, you don't want to count anyone out of the fight just because they've been hit.

I talked to a buddy of mine on that trooper shooting and he says they or the police departments have what they call non-lethal loads and that might have played a part, but I don't really know about the non lethal load thing.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure if you did some digging on it, you'd find that it was a standard load. What I've read so far substantiates that, but I've yet to see anything terribly official.

BTW, sorry to jack your thread!

He was not shot in the chest, but instead his "belly". He was something like 5'6" tall and weighed close to 300lbs....so his stomach was a substantial target with a large quantity of fat to absorb energy.
Regardless, 5 shots at point blank range with a .357 will ruin your day. Whats amazing however is that when responding officers arrived on the scene, the suspect (who was laying on the ground in pain), was still fully conscious and speaking with officers.

The moral of the story is this....location location location. A .22lr to the heart is deadlier then .357 mag to the belly. Untreated, both shots will kill you....but when your objective is to stop the threat as quickly as possible, you need to hit something vital.

Gents- I have seen three individuals shot with 9mm. two were dead. One thought he was going to die. Pistols of all calibers kill, but.....bottom line- pistols-- ALL PISTOLS- are wounders. If you are serious about killing someone shoot them with a rifle or shotgun. That is all.

I knew very little about handguns when I purchased my first one. After a few hours at the local gun shop, I purchased a S&W 686+ 3". One of my best choices. Thankfully, the guy at the shop was willing to put up with me for that long and teach me quite a bit in the process.

Several years later, I taught my wife how to shoot using 38 specials with that gun. Now, she wants something similar, but smaller to carry.

I like my 357LCR; I'm guessing that a similar S&W in 357Mag would be similar. I would not mess with Airlites! I had the LCR in 38+P and it was just too much recoil for me. The extra 4oz makes a world of difference, in my opinion. If you want to stick with 38's, that is. Depends upon how small it needs to be.

I keep watching this video....I really think I need to have one of these. Is there any reason not to get the 686 Plus (7 shot) versus the 6 shot version?

Obviously the cylinder is going to be a tiny bit wider, but if you hold both of them, the difference is hardly noticeable. That extra shot is something that I'd personally sleep better knowing I have it. In case of that 7th zombie.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I keep watching this video....I really think I need to have one of these. Is there any reason not to get the 686 Plus (7 shot) versus the 6 shot version?

None that I can think of. I own the 7 shot and it's a great gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back