GHOST started my truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its thurs around 1 am i have my truck parked close to the house i put it on craiglist a couple days ago.I am sitting here and i hear it start up and am like [censored].I grab a big head bashing flashlight throw on my shoes and am ready to kick some [censored] i go out there and the key isnt even on and the [censored] thing is running.95 Chevy K1500 never did anything like this never any starting issues????

Stuff like that always makes me worry about keeping a vehicle in an attached garage. Sometimes instead of starting, something in the electrical system, like the cruise control, catches them on fire.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
Stuff like that always makes me worry about keeping a vehicle in an attached garage. Sometimes instead of starting, something in the electrical system, like the cruise control, catches them on fire.

Welp, thanks for ruining the luxury that is my garage.

I've had a friend that has had 2 separate cars burn themselves to the ground. Both times they were parked on the curb with nothing nearby. Unfortunately car manufacturers are not all the forthcoming on recalls all the time.

I've also seen houses burn to the ground while the family is out of town due to a car catching fire in the middle of their vacation (They left on Monday. Then on Thursday their house burns down.)
The house and about 100% of both floors were a total write off. I doubt anything was salvageable.
It really was impressive, thinking about it if you wanted to burn a house down you would do it from the middle as to take out the most supports and attic space. Most garages are pretty close to center line of a house and take up a significant amount of cubic feet.

By the time someone sees smoke the house is already gutted.

Car fires are incredibly hot and violent.
Be careful with your truck. Even parked in front of your house it can melt the windows of your house and make nearby plants burst into flames if it is parked close.

I guess there is an advantage to my detached garage. I suppose if you were very paranoid, you could just disconnect the battery if you go away on a trip.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Thats crazy!

Just one more reason to drive a manual transmission.

So it can lurch away in gear?
laugh.gif

It's most likely something in the ignition switch as you need both ghost coil power and something to trigger the starter. And these switches do get sloppy.

Hopefully a chipped key would keep this from happening in something newer.

Originally Posted By: jsnyder49090
and the key isnt even on and the [censored] thing is running.

Key wasn't on? But did you leave the key in it?

If it has a remote start, I would suspect that system. Otherwise most likely an electrical issue with ignition switch being at the top of the suspect list.

Originally Posted By: hsd
If it has a remote start, I would suspect that system. Otherwise most likely an electrical issue with ignition switch being at the top of the suspect list.

My thoughts ^^.

This is beyond extremely rare, though.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: hsd

My thoughts ^^.

This is beyond extremely rare, though.

Yeah, I agree. If it does not have remote start, then ignition switch would be my guess as well. When it was running was the starter dragging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back