Yamaha Vstar 650 oil, no CD or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on why Yamaha favors auto grades SG or higher non energy conserving II and no diesel spec CD or higher? This is stated under caution about clutch slippage in the periodic maintenance and minor repair section of manual.

How old is the manual?

API CD is now obsolete. So is API SG.

I'm not sure what it is specifically about API CD that Yamaha doesn't like, but I think the main point here is to avoid oils that are energy conserving as they typically contain high levels of friction modifiers/reducers which may negatively affect a wet clutch. The clutch requires a certain level of friction to function properly.

If you can find an oil that mentions JASO MA spec, that will assure that the oil is wet clutch friendly.

CD diesel oils were rated for 2 stroke engines if I recall so there is most likely something lacking or there in the additive package of those oils that is non compatible with the engine/trans

As for SG or higher, well SG oils came into being in 1993 and were obsolete in 96. So basically they probably want something that meets at least those specs for detergency.

As mentioned get yourself something that meets JASO MA and it wll do just fine in your Yamaha. The V star 650 mill has its roots in the only 535 Virago engine and its pretty darn reliable and tough.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How old is the manual?

I checked the latest online manual, 2012 950, and the same exact verbage, "Do not use oils with a diesel specification of CD or of a higher quality than specified" Sounds like no current HDEO will do. My question was what changed with CD and apparently has continued?

Anyone know of automotive oils with JASO MA rating?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The V star 650 mill has its roots in the only 535 Virago engine and its pretty darn reliable and tough.

and the 535 was based on the early 80's XV500 Virago, so the basic engine has been around for a loooooooong time now....

[/quote]

"Do not use oils with a diesel specification of CD or of a higher quality than specified"
[/quote]

I read that as specifically excluding diesel oil rated CD period. Other oils, including diesel oils can be used as long as they meet the API requirements laid out in the Owners Manual. My Yamaha manuals say SG or higher.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
Anyone know of automotive oils with JASO MA rating?

Shell Rotella T and T6 come to mind. They are dual rated for passenger gasoline engines (API SM) as well as HDEO.

I use the Shell Rotella synthetic in my 06 V Star 650. Went with this oil right after I bought the bike from my daughter, when the bike had only 800 miles on it.

I use the Shell oil in our atvs as well. Use it in your Star.

Motorcycle oil is still blended to the otherwise obsolete SG classification. Any motorcycle specific oil will work great in the V-Star, and likely any modern diesel engine oil. I don't think any automotive oils have been tested for the JASO-MA wet clutch standard. Shell says that their Rotella oil will meet the JASO-MA standard.

Interestingly, Schaeffer says that their #707 20W-50 motorcycle oil is recommended for all air cooled and liquid cooled 4 stroke motorcycles, meets the API SN Service Classification, and passes the JASO MA-2 spec (the tougher half of MA), and it contains two friction modifiers, moly and their proprietary Penetro. As we know, SN is supposed to be a no-no, and friction modifiers are supposed to be a big no-no.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/TD Sheets/707 Logo.pdf

No 40W oil is energy conserving or cause clutch slippage. This is limited to 30W oils. I've successfully used Castrol synthetic 5W-40, Rotella T6 5W-40 and others with no issue.

Originally Posted By: TDIVersys
No 40W oil is energy conserving or cause clutch slippage. This is limited to 30W oils. I've successfully used Castrol synthetic 5W-40, Rotella T6 5W-40 and others with no issue.

For the most part true, but from what I have read the new Mobil Super line has some 10w40 that has the "Resource Conserving" label on the API doughnut.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: TDIVersys

For the most part true, but from what I have read the new Mobil Super line has some 10w40 that has the "Resource Conserving" label on the API doughnut.

Also, just because an oil isn't classified as "resource conserving" it doesn't mean that it's not loaded with friction modifiers which aren't good for a wet clutch.

I ran Rotella 15w-40 in mine. I did have some clutch slipping two up, hammering it up interstate onramps. Typical problem with V-Star 650. Dropped in heavier clutch springs and she was good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back