Need Help With Transmission Filter "O-Ring"

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Chevy Astro 4L60-E automatic transmission.

I'm calling it an o-ring because everyone else does. It reminds me of a valve stem seal. It is the rubber component that holds the filter in place in the transmission.

I can not get the old one out. Anyone know the procedure, trick/tip on how to remove the o-ring?

I have a 90 degree pick I tried using. Once I realized the o-ring wasn't going to come out easy, I stopped.

Just went through this with my truck trans filter. I took a small pocket screwdriver and went up along side of it carefully, and then worked it inward. There is a metal ring inside the o-ring that will deform. Then you can use a spring puller to get it out. Lube your new ring well with trans fluid, and push it home using the new filter.

The last time I changed the ATF on a GM I just reused the old one since it wasn't coming out easy. The new filter held firmly.
On my 4T65E the ring was made of metal.

beanoil: You did this on the 4L60?

To all: I drained the FF and put in a new filter using the old o-ring and all seems well. I dropped the pan twice since, exchanging the fluid but leaving the filter.

I'm going to drop the pan once more and I will replace the filter again then call it done for a while. This time I want to replace the o-ring since I plan on leaving everything alone for at least 15K.

I just want to know how everyone else is getting that o-ring out.

I have had the same difficulty with my 4L60E trans. The seal is in an aluminum shaft, so be careful not to scratch it with a pick or any tool, or you will be in trouble. I asked a GM trans expert how he removed that seal. Oh, you just use a large screwdriver and pop it out. Easy to say , but hard to do. The answer has been mentioned above. If the old seal is good , don't change it. How do you know if it is good? If the new filter stays in place and doesn't wobble, it should be okay. This old seal should be good. It is not like a filter that has a set life span and has to be changed. Now if your efforts to remove the old seal have scratched or marred the seal, you will need to remove it. Use a socket with ext. to seat the new one.

If you carefully wedge a thin screwdriver in between the o-ring and the aluminum shaft , you can break the seal and take it out in a few pieces. I've done it but you have to be careful not to score the shaft.

I had to do the same thing as beanoil did on my Malibu. I was a little worried about gouging the tranny surface, but I did OK. Just a small nick that isn't doing any harm.

Almost left the old one in. Glad I took a few extra minutes (and choice words) to get the old one out. It was hardened up good.

I would run a small rounded punch or screwdriver between the o-ring and the side of the hole. Deform the o-ring enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers into it. Twist until the o-ring pulls into itself and releases. It's worked for me. That's one of my standard tricks for those types of problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back