Valvoline 20-50 NSL Synthetic Race Oil #VV855 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of this oil pros/cons? Is this oil a polyester or diester oil? Im looking for a quality syn lubricant to be used in a strictly racing application to provide good thermal and wear protection. Here is my application:
New 331 SBF stroker (all roller).I just completed a dyno tuning session at JBA racing here in SD,CA where it made 490 HP @ 6800 RPM, max torque 415 @ 5900 RPM, EEHAW! I used Kendall 20-50 W/ Liquid Titanium ( not synthetic)for the break in, made 12 pulls so the motor should be completly broken in. The bearing clearances are: 0024 @ the rods and .0026 at the mains. The oil capacity is 12 quarts (the pan,#12 oil lines,oil cooler). The application is road racing where I typically see oil temps of 200-270F (sensor in the pan) so temps at the bearings will be higher. The numbers on the PDS look pretty good. Thanks Mike

Valvoline NSL 20w50 is probably thicker than needed for this application. Your bearing clearances are not "loose", so you don't need a thick oil to form acceptable film thickness. Your oil temperature is under control, so you're not going to have low viscosity due to excessive oil temperature. Since your engine has a roller valvetrain, you don't even necessarily need an oil with high zddp. Your oil system has a total capacity of 12 quarts, so the oil recirculation rate is low, and will give more time for the oil to release entrained air. NSL 10w30 may be OK, or a 50/50 blend with 20w50 to get a 40-weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back