M 16 vs AK47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that needs to be brought into the discussion is that many perceptions of the AR/M16 are based upon older models and/or MIL M16's armorers are keeping together with way to many rounds thur them that should realistically be retired....and before some of you say well, they shoot dont they? Ask yourself if you were headed to war would you want one of those or a modern Colt/LMT/Noveske.

I have no knock on the AK nor the round it fires...but want to emphasis modern bullets and powders hae drasatically improved the effectiveness of the 224 bullet and the rifles themselves have been improved immensely since the early days.

6.8spc is by far my favorite AR/M16 round. Amazing what a 90gr-115gr .270 cal bullet will do! I say 90-115 becuase that's what I shoot. They of course have lighter and heavier offerings out there. Realyl hard to beat the Sierra Pro-Hunters 110gr.

Love this round so much I had a 6.8SPC II built off a Stiller Predator action. Love it!

When I did my military service 30 years ago we had these Valmet M62s (a better AK if you simplify it). It's been upgraded a bit afterwards.

sarjavalmet.jpg

I own two ARs now and had also an FN FAL Match until this year. All these can do the job but are of completely different approach and era. I never had a jam in my FAL nor in either of the ARs but Valmet/Sako usually digests any ammo you can find and is usually immune to sand and other foreign particles.

I'd prefer a Valmet/Sako over an AK and AR but all these would do.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Something that needs to be brought into the discussion is that many perceptions of the AR/M16 are based upon older models and/or MIL M16's armorers are keeping together with way to many rounds thur them that should realistically be retired....and before some of you say well, they shoot dont they? Ask yourself if you were headed to war would you want one of those or a modern Colt/LMT/Noveske.

That's actually a pretty good point.

The 1911s that were issued when I first joined the service immediately come to mind -- They were probably 50 years old, loose as can be, and felt like they were going to fall apart. The M9s were a night and day improvement.

Most of our M16A1s were the same way. They were clearly ready to be retired (most were Franken-weapons with various A2 replacement parts) by the time we got our A2s. During qualifications, it paid off to be a grenadier, because the M16A1s w/203 weren't nearly as worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back