best at removing sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cathy
How do these compare? 5w/10w-30

Any of the oils mentioned are fine. The easies way to clean sludge, however, is to:: change the oil, drive 1000 miles on vacation, change the oil, then drive another 1000 miles on the way back. Change the oil again and go back to your normal OCI.

Originally Posted By: TheBig2003
Best at removing sludge with no damage to engine for me has always been Pennzoil/Quaker State drop in engine flush, run for 7 minutes and then drain overnight. Next morning fill with Castrol Syntec, but now I use Pennzoil Ultra instead of the Syntec. Never had an issue and valvetrain and internals are spotless with absolutely no wear.

If the internals are spotless, then how do you know it was removing sludge? Those two statements sort of contradict one another.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Best at removing sludge with no damage to engine for me has always been Pennzoil/Quaker State drop in engine flush, run for 7 minutes and then drain overnight. Next morning fill with Castrol Syntec, but now I use Pennzoil Ultra instead of the Syntec. Never had an issue and valvetrain and internals are spotless with absolutely no wear.

If the internals are spotless, then how do you know it was removing sludge? Those two statements sort of contradict one another.

Well, I purchased a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT S/C with 84,000kms on it, pulled the valve covers because the gaskets had blown - common problem for the 3800. Nice sludgy situation was going on there, I changed the gaskets and followed my plan.

This spring with 92,000kms on the engine, I tore the engine down completely because I was changing the rockers, bearings, springs, pushrods, camshaft and valves because I was increasing compression on the supercharger and everything was spotless when I removed them this spring.

Brought to a buddy of mine who owns a machine shop - everything was within GM specs - BEAUTIFUL. That's how I know. Not exactly contradictory is it if that's the case.

I misunderstood part of your reply;
"Pennzoil/Quaker State drop in engine flush"
Are you saying that you use one of the mentioed oils AND an engine flush?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I misunderstood part of your reply;
"Pennzoil/Quaker State drop in engine flush"
Are you saying that you use one of the mentioed oils AND an engine flush?
21.gif

That's correct, I use the flush first (either Pennzoil or Quaker State brand Engine Flush) on a cold engine, run the engine for 7 minutes and then immediately do the drain (which lasts overnight) and then fill with one of the two oils and use a Wix filter of course.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Well, I purchased a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT S/C with 84,000kms on it, pulled the valve covers because the gaskets had blown - common problem for the 3800. Nice sludgy situation was going on there, I changed the gaskets and followed my plan.

This spring with 92,000kms on the engine, I tore the engine down completely because I was changing the rockers, bearings, springs, pushrods, camshaft and valves because I was increasing compression on the supercharger and everything was spotless when I removed them this spring.

Brought to a buddy of mine who owns a machine shop - everything was within GM specs - BEAUTIFUL. That's how I know. Not exactly contradictory is it if that's the case.

Explained completely, it makes a lot more sense. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back