your opinion on Lucas Transmission Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Hi,

I was wondering what's your opinion on LucasTransmission Fix. They say, among other things, that it stops foaming.

I'm asking because my tranny (TH125C) started to clunk after a fluid flush (I've changed the filter and gasket and had the pan cleaned too). There are no slippages or other symptoms but that clunking ****** me off.

tia
NEW

[ May 19, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: New ]

It has been my experience that new transmission fluid takes some time to season properly. Not sure what is going on during this seasoning but I have had clunking go away by just giving it time. I would do this before attempting to add anything. My current auto-rx treatment and complete flush was about 6 months ago and my transmission has just started to work great now.

you should try something that would actually works like:*******

Salsahh,
You came on the board and all your posts concern this product. Either you are employed by them, or sell this product. If you want to advertise on this board, email me, no free ride.
Thanks,
Tony

[ May 23, 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I put some Lucas in the tranny of a mazda protege that was clunking at the shift into overdrive (fluid had never been changed), and it's been a couple months now - no clunking. I completely flushed the fluid recently and added the other half bottle of Lucas(small tranny) - still fine.

I am now a huge fan of AutoRx. I did an application to my 4L60E after it developed a 1-2 "Hammer-Shift." This is usually a death-knell for this transmission, but shortly after putting Rx in, it stopped and is still shifting like new now. Terry told me that AutoRx in a maintenance dose also helps, so I am doing that to now.

The clunking could be alot of things. I would check the motor mounts before adding things to the transmission. The TH125 is a good transmission for the low powered engines they usually paired it with. I've had several near 200k miles, and never had a problem with them, other then sticky TCC lockups.

-T

quote:

The clunking could be alot of things. I would check the motor mounts before adding things to the transmission. The TH125 is a good transmission for the low powered engines they usually paired it with. I've had several near 200k miles, and never had a problem with them, other then sticky TCC lockups.

I've checked the motor mounts and they're ok.
The clunk is definitely from the tranny. It appears when (or immediately after) going in the first gear but only if previously the tranny was in the second.
I've added Lucas transmission fix but to no avail.

confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I am now a huge fan of AutoRx. I did an application to my 4L60E after it developed a 1-2 "Hammer-Shift." This is usually a death-knell for this transmission, but shortly after putting Rx in, it stopped and is still shifting like new now. Terry told me that AutoRx in a maintenance dose also helps, so I am doing that to now.

Wayne, how much Auto-rx did you add to your 4L60E? A full bottle or half bottle?

My mother owns a problematic 1993 Mazda 626 ES-V6. Bought used some years ago, automatic transmission. That year was the first year for that specific 626 generation (which would last into 1997). The automatic transmissions that year have had some serious problems...

This one would develop a delay in engaging 3rd gear. The engine would momentarily freewheel before 3rd engaged. It would get worse until 3rd would not engage at all and going over 50 MPH wasn't recommended for obvious reasons...

The ATX has been rebuilt 3 times (the last two for free because we believed the problems to be the fault of the guys who rebuilt it... although it does perform flawlessly right after rebuild, it inevitably regresses...)

I tried some Lucas Transmission fix today in an effort to try and at least prolong the life of the car, if not for my mom than for my little sister, who now currently drives it the most (my mom opting for a 1980 280ZX in need of restoration. A vehicle purchased for $800 last fall right after the 626 was back in the shop for the trans). I went to the local Murray's and got a trans kit (filter, new gasket...). Got everything put together, cut off the tip to the Lucas Transmission Fix top and squeezed it in... for a while. VERY thick stuff. I also had to remove a part to simply get the bottle to the fill/dipstick hole. heh. Cars are a little tight under the hood these days
wink.gif
Topped off with some non-synthetic Dexron III and took it out for a test drive.

At first there was no noticeable difference (Strike one.. the bottle claims results usually instant... lol). But as I drove it more, it did progressively improve, although never reaching perfection. It has greatly reduced the time the engine freewheels before engaging 3rd but has not completely cured it. The transmission has a terminal problem. I do believe Ford/Mazda improved that very flawed ATX design in the coming years. All I have to say is if you ever consider getting one of this particular generation of 626s, stay away from the early '93 and maybe '94 models with autos. These models also sometimes have problems with motor mounts (although not the case with this one, but I have heard it's been a problem).

A mechanic at the shop I work (I'm a lowly tire technician for the moment) claims he tried some of the Lucas in a beat up POS he once had. He had 3rd gear, that was it. First and second would not work. As you can imagine, the thing was a little slow off the line. He tells me after using the Lucas Transmission Fix, he got first and second back.

The stuff is worth a shot, if you ask me. Although it didn't 100% cure my problem it has helped. I do believe the product works well, but the ATX in my case is gone too far for this miracle fluid to completely cure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back