New Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think someone screwed up. Ive been looking all over for a set of these in 215/65R16 and Im coming up dry. Tirerack lists an in stock date of 11/15 (!!) and they are out of stock everywhere else I have found them. I might have to can the order and go with something else like the WS70 or something. My poor WS60s have had it. They were like 2s and 3s then I broiled them off. Now they are slicks..

Thats the problem ... they release products but they arent available here for 1-2 years.. or after the fall preseason sales are done.

If you want a new model.. the xice xi3, yokohama ig30 are both very new.

IMO most of the brand name recent model are GREAT and I wouldnt worry too much. find something you can get a deal on.

xice xi2, blizzack, ws70, conti extremewintercontact, certain hankook's, etc.

washington gets mostly rain and ice?

maybe even a performance snow

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I think someone screwed up. Ive been looking all over for a set of these in 215/65R16 and Im coming up dry. Tirerack lists an in stock date of 11/15 (!!) and they are out of stock everywhere else I have found them. I might have to can the order and go with something else like the WS70 or something. My poor WS60s have had it. They were like 2s and 3s then I broiled them off. Now they are slicks..

What about General Altimax Arctics for you? I know this design is several years old (having been sold previously as Gislaved NordFrost 3), but it performs very well for myself and others. I have them in the same size you are looking for, and they've done two winters for me already (going into winter #3 this year). Unstudded, they have good ice and snow traction, and are also good in wet and dry conditions to boot.

If you want newer, in Continental's stable, there is the Continental ExtremeWinterContact. I've heard good things about this tire.

I think you will have no problem finding either in stock.

I don't necessarily look for the newest tire offering when I buy - I just look for a good performer regardless of how long it's been on the market.

I think someone screwed up. Ive been looking all over for a set of these in 215/65R16 and Im coming up dry. Tirerack lists an in stock date of 11/15 (!!) and they are out of stock everywhere else I have found them......

Thats the way it usually goes with the first year's production run of a new winter tire. The tire will be available in limited numbers of limited sizes the first year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Thats the way it usually goes with the first year's production run of a new winter tire. The tire will be available in limited numbers of limited sizes the first year.

Quoted for truth..
then again occassionally they just mess up..
for example conti EWC wasnt EVER available in some sizes last year.. ie 205/65R16 and several alternative sizes were never available either.
(why I ended up with ws70's)

I went ahead and had it changed to the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I wanted these initially, but recently TireRack added on to the size that they are 2008 production. So I thought I would buy the Xi3. What I like about the Xi3 is that it has a mileage warranty. Even if its difficult to prove how long the tires have been on the car it still gives a general idea of the wear life. Xi3s were 6 bucks cheaper so it didnt seem like too bad of a tradeoff.
The Winter Sports are pretty much exactly what I believe I need. It will be nice to take trips south in the winter months and not worry about my Winter tires melting off.

I went ahead and had it changed to the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I wanted these initially, but recently TireRack added on to the size that they are 2008 production. ........

So you ended up buying 4 year old tires? Did they charge you the 2008 price?

I dont know. They were $135/tire. You see my hesitation and why I wanted the Xi3s. That still gives me 6 years before they hit my cutoff, and they are H-rated so they will hold together better.

According to research done by VTI (The Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute) around 2002 or so, unused winter tires do not suffer a performance degradation after 3 years of storage. So you may be OK.

Tirerack has these listed for 9-18-12 delivery in some sizes.

hopefully its not a typo.

Last edited:
Some tests of the Xi3 have started to show up online (NAF) and in print (CR), and my impression so far is that the Xi3 is not much of an improvement over the Xi2. It has lower rolling resistance, and that is about it. Its dry and wet handling is a little worse, even though its speed rating has been bumped up to "H". Most of the listed sizes of the Xi3 have an XL load rating, which will not help ride quality. And the Xi3 has apparently not improved on the Xi2's relatively poor lateral traction on ice.

I'm not sure why Michelin has bumped up the speed rating to H (130 mph). Usually, that rating is only found on performance winters, and not on "ice&snow" tires. It seems to have paid for this speed upgrade with reduced ice traction, compared to the competition. In last year's NAF tests, the Xi2 blew away the WS70 and HakkaR on the ice braking test, but this year the Xi3 comes in second to the WS70.

TireRack should be releasing their winter test results soon, so we will see what their verdict is on the Xi3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back