Revolver Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been toying with getting a S&W Model 10 for some time. [While in the store today I saw the 15, which appears to be a 10 but with adjustable rear sight.] The idea being, full sized revolver, six rounds, suitable for range and perhaps house duty. What I'm not sure about is if I should trade my SP101 for it.

You see, I've been babied by my 357LCR's trigger. I put in a slightly less stiff Wolf spring into the SP101, but it's still just not the same. While shooting the SP101 means less recoil than the LCR (I only shoot 148grn WC's or 158grn +P, in 38spl loads) the heavy LCR isn't that bad. The SP101 isn't bad, but I'm not sure what to do with it: LCR is a good pocket carry, but the 3” SP101 doesn’t do pocket at all. Yet I find it too short for magnums (magnums too loud for me, too obnoxious), and it’s only 5 rounds, etc.

I held a few Model 10’s today, and the trigger was nice, as expected. Grips are kinda big in my hand, at least the target wood ones (the molded plastic ones weren’t bad). Only thing I don’t like is the sights—I just got a 10/22 carbine with the high visibility sights, and would love to have similar, and I don’t know if a 10/15 (or similar) could have high vis sights pressed in/on/whatever.

I know the right answer to keep the SP101 and to still buy the Model 10; but to do that means I’d have to save my money and that’ll take a while… Plus it’s kinda fun to get others thoughts.

Thanks.

I'd save up and get a trigger job to the SP101 or try to get a GP100 and eventually have a trigger job done to it.

Those 2 firearms are designed for Maxed out .357 Magnum rounds all day long. They won't wear out and are built like Bank Vaults.
You can tell when you try to concealed carry either of them.

The deal with the Model 10 is that only the front sight is interchangeable, but you will have a much smoother trigger right out of the box. It is a fun gun and can be found used for around $300 easily. Lots of prisons are replacing their old .38's for new 9mm's.

If all you are doing is plinking I'd say shop around for a 6" barrel GP100. They feel like a .22 when shooting .38's out of them. My bedside firearm is a 6" barreled Ruger Security Six. My wife loves it and can hammer targets with it all day long.

The extra length of barrel adds to the sight radius, and the added weight all contribute to greater accuracy. If you are not concealed carrying then these two things are not a factor.

BTW, I've played with several GP100's that had trigger jobs that would rival a Smith & Wesson. Shop around, you might be surprised at what you find.

It's been a while since I've handled a GP100. Last time I held a 6" GP100 (well, the only GP100 I've handled) it felt huge. That was a while ago though... But I had forgotten about that gun. Hmm, next time I'm in a store I'll have to hold one again.

Look around at the older Ruger Security Six as well. They usually have a "pre lawyer era" trigger and are much smoother than the current crop of wheelguns they make. They are also a little less bulky. I bought one that was nearly new in box(late 70's vintage), but only cost me about 275 bucks. It was a 6 inch blued model.

If you are looking for cheap Model 10's I did see Buds gun shop had some surplus ones pretty cheap.

Yeah, the shop I went into yesterday had some Model 10's for $425, lots of holster wear too. Half that price and I probably would have gone home with one--but not at that price. A Security Six might work too. I should look into front site options on all of them.

Originally Posted By: supton
Yeah, the shop I went into yesterday had some Model 10's for $425, lots of holster wear too. Half that price and I probably would have gone home with one--but not at that price. A Security Six might work too. I should look into front site options on all of them.

Wow...Budsgunshop.com has square and round butt Model 10 trade ins for 269 bucks with free shipping. You just need to pay an FFL to do the transfer.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought it was kinda out of line. At the least I feel better about buying sight-unseen, after holding one.

Please note that due to the upcoming presidential elections there is a bunch of price gouging going on.

4 years ago I saw the same thing.

People are panic buying and folks are making an extra $100 and up on everything they sell.

If all you want is a revolver wait till January.

Please note a sound investment would be an AR-15 receiver. I just went in on a group buy and got 4 of them.
Regardless of what happens I will make out like a bandit.

+1 for Super Dave. If you want out of the SP, go to a GP. I've had mine for two years, and it was smooth out of the box, and of course has gotten nothing but better. I put a light-pipe on it and it makes a big difference against a standard NRA target. Ruger has a well-earned reputation for rugged construction, easy takedown, and is not as crudely finished as some might think.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
+1 for Super Dave. If you want out of the SP, go to a GP. I've had mine for two years, and it was smooth out of the box, and of course has gotten nothing but better. I put a light-pipe on it and it makes a big difference against a standard NRA target. Ruger has a well-earned reputation for rugged construction, easy takedown, and is not as crudely finished as some might think.

GP100's are nice revolvers but I can't get past the huge warning stamped on the barrel. Hence I went with a 686+ Smith

I've got several revolvers and my favorite carry revolver is my Scandium framed PD360 in .357. It is small, under 12oz and packs a strong round. Consider it as a choice - but it is expensive.

Another one to look at is Taurus..they have several nice revolvers in the $300-450 range that are comparable to the S&W.

But don't sell the SP101 if you can help it. That's a nice quality gun and better to save up $$ and add to your collection.

Yeah, I'll keep the SP101. At least for now... It and my LCR make a good pair.

supton,

I'd stay with the Ruger SP101. I use that as my house gun myself and load it with a good hollowpoint bullet. Of couse I keep a few extra speed loaders in reserve. The Ruger is your best bet in a basic house gun unless yourwant the model 10 in your personal collection cuz I know they don't make them anymore.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back