Fram filter made Canada Vs. made in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at walmart i went to get a new air filter for my jeep.
A stack of models ca8205 sits of the shelf. I grabbed the first from the pile and opened it to see it was made in mexico. I looked at the next 5 and were all Mexican made then the last 2 filters at the bottom were Canadian made. I pulled one from each country out of the box and sat them next to each other. The orange plastic molding were 2 different shades of orange. The Canadian filter had excess flash from the molding process and way too much orange goup holding in the paper pleats to the outside of the filter.The Mexican filter had shallower pleats and much smaller mating surface where the filter seals to the box.

Not knowing what to do I went with the Canadian filter because it had more paper media, more rubbery plastic mating surface to seal the filter better, and while the extra goupy flash looked bad around the paper it really was just extra glue to keep the paper from getting unglued.

I often see people here recommend Fram Air filters. I ask how can people recommend them when they are so compleatly different. which one is better? what about the China and USA made filters made by fram I here about? are they all good? some better then others? even though they are all labeled the same and advertised to perform the same.

what do you guys think?

I guess the air filters are ok me myself i would rather have a wix or anything i try to stay away from fram products period

Last edited:
FRAM air filters have always universally been pretty great, their oil filters aren't. Thats the only advice you'll really get a consistent word in on.

Between countries...its still FRAM, and its still an orange can of death.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
what do you guys think?

The last two sets of Fram air filters I bought were made in the USA, and not to exaggerate or get all flowery, but they were beautifully made. The sealing material was nice and soft, but not flimsy. There wasn't excess flashing visible anywhere, nor excess where the paper pleats adhere to the filter framing. I did see that on a recent Wix I had in stock for the Audi, but it didn't look like a huge problem, really.

The Frams pleats were evenly spaced, too. There seemed to be sufficient media thickness, as well, and sufficient pleats. I know that the matters of spacing, thickness, and number of pleats are a little more subjective, but if a filter doesn't look like it was made by a drunk, that's usually preferable to a buyer.

As for previous Fram filters, it's been a few years since I've really had to buy an air filter for a vehicle that I'd expect to find in stock readily where Fram is stocked, so I can't recall the country of origin for the Frams I used on my LTD, Town Car, or F-150. Heck, even my Frams for the G were special ordered.

I was surprised to see my latest Fram air filter to be made in Canada. I just assume they are all made in China now. No quality issues to speak of on mine.

Last edited:
Quote:
.....what about the China and USA made filters made by fram I here about? are they all good? some better then others? even though they are all labeled the same and advertised to perform the same.

what do you guys think?

As shown in this thread, I'm currently using standard Fram AF's, which now happen to be made in China, in two vehicles. I've always found Fram AF's to be a good choice for replacement AF's in my vehicles. They are readily available, reasonably priced and appear to be relatively well made.

Are they all good? I don't know, it 'could' be application specific. Being interested in and using only a few applications, I've only checked out several. I would and do examine each application before I purchase and base my decision on that. In the absence of any filtration spec reference like oil filters use, that's the way I do it.

Otoh, some of the Purolator AF applications, which are also made in different countries, don't look so well made to me and I avoid them. Ironically for oil filters, with the possible exception of the Fram Ultra it's the exact opposite. Based primarily on cost for construction, I prefer Purolator oil filters.

So, unless the country of origin is a primary consideration for you, physical examination and comparison with competing brands should be your guide.

Weird that they'd be markedly different like that. If Fram had manufactured both (even at different plants), you'd expect they'd be pretty identical, with the exact same dimensions, mating surfaces, pleating, etc. It almost sounds like one could have been sourced out: The Purolator filters I've been using for my VW are made by Mann according to most internet accounts, a consensus I agree with after researching it.

As someone who's worked with a worldwide Fortune 500 aerospace firm for a long while now, I know that the same quality standards of these ISO quality audited firms apply to all their plants: You could easily find "better" quality from the Mexican-plant parts than the Canada-plant parts if they're from the same Fortune 500 firm, or vice-versa.

I have been using Fram products for decades. Never a failure. I recommend them if they are the lowest price. Otherwise I will go with the lowest price filter and my engines last as long as any other. I find changing filters often is more important.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
The Mexican versus Canadian were the same price?!

yup they were all advertised as the same filter all sitting together in the same pile.

Unless you want that "extra" happieness that K&N promises just buy whatever , even fram...

I personaly found my car accelerating better after i switched from FRAM to Pentius ( 8 bucks on amazon ) so I shall stay away from them.

As long as you check it , and change it every 10-15K ( depending on dust ) it doesnt matter what you use.

It makes me feel better to do it every 8k and so I do these things

The Fram filters for my application have been fairly consistent. Usually there is some excess flash, but the gasket is thick and the media seems well made. In fact, Fram and whoever makes STP are the only aftermarket brands that have been consistent for my truck. I have had Wix filters that didn't seal well, and Purolators are unusable. On the other hand, some other Purolator filters may be higher quality in different applications. I think it depends a lot on the individual part number as well as the brand. In addition to being made in different plants, some part numbers may be outsourced to other companies and simply repackaged.

I would take a fram air filter made in mexico over a wix made in china. I am so made at myself. Went to get an air filter for my z4. I had a choice of house brand, fram or wix. I chose wix. When I got home I noticed the wix was made in china. I will look for now on where they are made BEFORE purchising.

I looked today for an air filter for my Accord. The Purolater AND the Fram are both made in China. I went back to Walmart and bought the Fram Extra Guard CA9654 as it was several dollars cheaper than the Purolater at Pep Boys and AAP. It seems like it is put together pretty decently put together.

I've always thought FRAM air filter did a pretty decent job

Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back