Duralast, Autocraft, Diehard Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JOD
The battery I just got from Autozone was a Johnson Controls. The Exide battery I got from O'Reilly's was total garbage. They would have given me the prorated warranty on it, but I'd have just gotten another lousy battery.

Thing is, I don't know if battery manufacturer is a regional thing or not. The Duralast batteries in my area are JC, so I'm hoping it will fare better than my prior battery. I now believe much of what I've read on the interwebs (after the fact) that Exide batteries aren't that great. Mine didn't make it 3 years.

Same here regarding the O'Reilly battery. I installed one for a friend..lasted 2 years and they would not make good on the warranty because nobody could remember what name or phone number the battery was under. They would not even go by the date on the battery! So, figured we lost $30 in pro-rated credit. I won't by anything from O-Reilly after that experience.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Sears does have a platinum line which are AGM batteries and have a 10 year life, but cost $200+.

^^^THIS is what I would suggest (and what I'm getting next), but I know that most on here would NOT pay this premium for a battery, no matter how great, leakproof, or long-lived.

I think that's a pretty good deal actually. I mean, a regular 2 or 3 year free replacement battery averages $100 so if you even get 7 years out of that $200 battery you made out over buying 2 of the others.

Sears does have a platinum line which are AGM batteries and have a 10 year life, but cost $200+.

^^^THIS is what I would suggest (and what I'm getting next), but I know that most on here would NOT pay this premium for a battery, no matter how great, leakproof, or long-lived.

I would.
wink.gif

Doesn't Odyssey manufacture the Die-Hard Platinum line?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id initially say walmart because they are all over and have fresh stock. But I havent been too impressed with thier batteries.

Especially if it is a (N)Everstart; their MC batteries are worthless and with no prorated period, they became core trade-ins for Duralast batteries in my case.

Six years and counting on the Everstart-MAXX in my Caddy. That car is hard on batteries, and this one tested out fine (still had 90+% of the rated capacity) after six years. I'll buy another in a second!

Yeah I put Duralast Golds in my Odyssey and CR-V and they've been great. And both get periodically run down thanks to kids leaving dome lights on...

Really surprised Costco hasn't come up - best price and warranty BY FAR when comparing specs.
If you're not a member, either have a friend-member buy you a gift card for $80 or join and you can cancel w/in 12 months and refund your membership. Warranty works for non-members.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Really surprised Costco hasn't come up

It has, twice.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
If you have a Costco, they have decent priced batteries.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Buy the best value battery: easiest to get, lowest price & longest warranty. It's a Pep Girls Bosch for my Golf and will be a Costco battery for the 5 when it needs one.

Costco doesn't carry a group 94R battery for my Golf, or it would have one.

After reading everybody's views I decided to go with the Duralast Gold. Easy in and out and it starts better then the AC-Delco that came original.

Thanks everybody!

Originally Posted By: Zero

I would.
wink.gif

They ABSOLUTELY do!! (EnerSys is actually the parent company name.)

The ONLY reason I would get a DH Platinum over the actual labelled/branded Odyssey is for ease of replacement/warranty just in case something were to go wrong (A LOT more Sears around than speed shops, or dealing with online returns, etc.), and to get credit on my Sears Club account.

Originally Posted By: Zero

I would.
wink.gif

They ABSOLUTELY do!! (EnerSys is actually the parent company name.)

The ONLY reason I would get a DH Platinum over the actual labelled/branded Odyssey is for ease of replacement/warranty just in case something were to go wrong (A LOT more Sears around than speed shops, or dealing with online returns, etc.), and to get credit on my Sears Club account.

Who manufacturers the Die-Hard Gold line?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I've had three Autocrafts personally and two in my in-laws cars, and all have been trouble-free. I plan on putting another in the wife's car in the spring.

I must have jinxed myself because I had to replace that Autocraft Silver today. Still, she got 4 years and 9-10 months out of it so I'm satisfied. I think that anything over five years on a battery is borrowed time anyway.

Diehard platinum in the taco and durlast gold in the CRV. I've had the the diehard since 2008. The gold for about three months.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
AAP gold with 40% discount code is a great deal.

This. Three out of my four cars have AAP batteries (bought two this year to replace dead OEM batteries and got 40% off both online. Presently running a 6.5 year old Silver that still tests and starts fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back