Metzler 880 tire pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running the Metzler 880s?
Recently had a set put on one of my bikes and I'm a little confused to the tire pressure.
My Harley service manual pressures are way lower than what Metzler recommends. At one point Metzler recommends what the bike recommends, then turns around and says for getting miles, stability, customer satisfaction etc., to run them way higher.
I went to the Metzler site part and after some agreement thing just to see, Metzler recommends 40-42 F and 46-48 R. That's if I read it right. That seems really high.
90%+ I run 2-up lite...
I'm not sure is I'm reading and understanding all this correctly. And I have never ran tires on any bike at this high of pressures.
Can anyone enlighten me? This on my oldest Harley, a 97 1200 Sportster sport. Although it has mods, I generally don't don't abuse the tires but sometimes get into the twisty mountain roads 2-up and get into some good leans, so I'm a little concerned.

Last edited:
My Speedmaster came with them from the factory. Says to run 45psi in the back and 36 in the front.

Last edited:
Yes, Metzeler does recommend to run higher PSI than stock. I say try it and see how it feels. If you don't like it, experiment with something lower.

I've had 880's for the last 8 years. Great tire! On my Road King, I using 45 psi for the front and 50 psi for the rear. Usually ride 2-up and we do some touring. Tire wear at those pressures has been good.

Although Metzler recommends 40-42 F and 46-48 R, I think I'm going to try 40 F and 44 R then see how it feels.
I figure those numbers would be easy to remember (40 & 44) because they are cartridge calibers.
Maybe take a ride this evening to see how folks along the river are doing salmon fishing, but still kind of hot out.
Thanks for the inputs.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Anyone running the Metzler 880s?
Recently had a set put on one of my bikes and I'm a little confused to the tire pressure.
My Harley service manual pressures are way lower than what Metzler recommends. At one point Metzler recommends what the bike recommends, then turns around and says for getting miles, stability, customer satisfaction etc., to run them way higher.
I went to the Metzler site part and after some agreement thing just to see, Metzler recommends 40-42 F and 46-48 R. That's if I read it right. That seems really high.
90%+ I run 2-up lite...
I'm not sure is I'm reading and understanding all this correctly. And I have never ran tires on any bike at this high of pressures.
Can anyone enlighten me? This on my oldest Harley, a 97 1200 Sportster sport. Although it has mods, I generally don't don't abuse the tires but sometimes get into the twisty mountain roads 2-up and get into some good leans, so I'm a little concerned.

I have a 2007 VTX1300c with the 880's on it. I go by Metzler's recommendation of 41 front, and 47 rear. I ride two up totaling around 410 lbs. Usually the sticker on the bike is more concerned with a soft ride. Low pressures can increase tire heat, and increase chance of tire failure. You can find this info on Metzler's site. Ride on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back