cleaning the underside of my hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to clean the underside of the hood. It is painted metal, no insulaton etc. Mostly greasy "dirt." Any suggestions on method?

Use a general degrease like purple power or simple green and it will spray right off.

APC, some dawn and a soft brush or mitt works for me.

If you use simple green, and it drips on any aluminum engine parts, hose it off quickly. Simple green + aluminum can be bad.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
APC, some dawn and a soft brush or mitt works for me.

If you use simple green, and it drips on any aluminum engine parts, hose it off quickly. Simple green + aluminum can be bad.

I don't like how SG chalks up my hoses either. A white hose is a dry hose. I agree with Donald, a quick blast at a car wash spray booth is the best way. Never tried dawn, sounds like a good idea.

Simple green diluted at least 50/50 with water. Just dip a rag into the mixture, wring it out, wipe hood, rinse with water, and no worry about dripping. Even if spilled, if diluted and then hosed off will not hurt anything.

Last edited:
I just covered my engine with an old shower curtain and didn't worry about ANY drips etc.
smile.gif

When I clean my engine bay I use car wash soap (mixed up stronger than usual) to clean the radiator support, head lights, inner fenders, shock towers, fire wall and hood, then spray the mechanicals with SuperClean. Another once over with the car wash soap on painted surfaces, then rinse with the hose. The most important step to me is to start the car immediately and drive it (highway and stop and go) until its dry. I also use the a/c for the extra fan action.

Use a good dishwashing detergent and a soft wheel brush. That should work well if you're concerned about how a degreaser like simple green might affect hoses and metal. But actually my favorite grime buster is a mix of dishwashing detergent mixed 50/50 with greased lightning. It's got the grease cutting power of the greased lightning but also the foaming and clinging power of the dishwashing detergent so soaking the parts with soapy foam lets the greased lighting work for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back