Its just a 22 long rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a lot of quick stopping power, but i think the statistics are that more people die each year from .22 than other calibers.

The gray bearded man says, "If you get a hole you weren't born with, your probably gonna die!". That was funny!

Great video. I've never seen a 22 rifle bullet at 450 yards hit anything. Now I know it retains at least enough energy to penetrate a 1/2 inch pine board.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
The gray bearded man says, "If you get a hole you weren't born with, your probably gonna die!". That was funny!

That was good!

You start shooting somebody in the face with anything they will stop whatever they are doing. I would take a .22 anytime in a self defence situation, easy to handle, no recoil. Just keep pulling the trigger until the threat is eliminated.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Not a lot of quick stopping power, but i think the statistics are that more people die each year from .22 than other calibers.

.22 is also the most common round in the U.S. so that stat, assuming it's true and it probably is, is a lot like saying it's safer to fly than drive because there are more car accidents than plane wrecks, but there's also a [censored] of a lot more cars than planes.

22 is often more deadly than any other caliber because it has enough power to go in but not exit, so in return in bounces around inside tearing everything up.

love my .22 My gun nut know it all BIL swears that I am crazy because I think a .22 is good for home defense. I have 16 rounds and I really don't care who you are, if your in my house and I have 16 rounds - you will die. I also have a 12 gauge pump action and 20 gauge double barrel in case of jamming or the darn intruder trying to get up.

A .22 cal long rifle is probably one of, if not the most under estimated round there is.

My old National Guard Armory had an indoor sub-caliber range. Armored Crewman did not qualify with an M16 so we would use Ruger .22 pistols on the range.
Now, I'm no slouch with the M9 Beretta or M1911 .45, but I could center mass every shot with that Ruger .22. Minimal spread. It was a fun pistol to fire.

There was a really good book in our library written during WWII, where the author made the compelling case that home guard should be armed with .22LR, and trained in marksmanship out to 200 yards.

Reasons were :
* Cost;
* likelihood of use;
* sending the big stuff to the front;
* ability to teach someone to shoot accurately, less flinch, and follow up speed;
* it was lethal beyond the 200 yard mark.

Good point Shannow, one of the things I love about my 22 LR is that I can fire all 16 rounds in a few seconds and with almost zero kick, I can place them in a nice tight group.

It is sure a lot more powerful than lets say a 25acp which was known to bounce off skulls in WW1 trenches when fired from those Ruby pistols that were everywhere. Sure its deadly, its just not a quick killer.

Wait a minute, what is the definition of a quick killer? 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds. I do have a 22 magnum pistol and at 10 feet, 2 shots or one shot to the old head and its over. Of course if ones head is make of concrete and most men fit that category, a 22 will not work there.....................

Last edited:
There's been reports of rounds bouncing off of people's skulls, so head shots don't automatically equal instant death.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Wait a minute, what is the definition of a quick killer? 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds. I do have a 22 magnum pistol and at 10 feet, 2 shots or one shot to the old head and its over. Of course if ones head is make of concrete and most men fit that category, a 22 will not work there.....................

Well self defense rounds(9mm, 357mag, 45acp ect) can shut a person down in 3 to 5 seconds according to an article I read a few years ago with death following shortly, so that for me is a quick kill. Im talking a shot to center mass hitting vital organs, not a head shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back