Can't get oil filter off

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 E350 Ford Van with V10
Has a Napa Filter on it equivalent to Motorcraft FL820S.
Tried filter wrench..no luck.
Tried driving a screw driver thu filter..no luck.
Just is bending the oil filter case real bad.
Thanks

A few people here have had good luck with strap wrenches in this scenario. See if you can get one of those.

What happens with the oil filter wrench? Sometimes it helps to put a little duct tape over the top of the filter, allows the wrench to fit a little snugly.

What you need is K-D swiveling oil filter wrench.

KDFilterWrench.jpg

Sorry for the "dumb" qustion.....but you are twisting it off the correct way.....right?
smile.gif
Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey.....:) Just sayin'.....who had it last?

Get the filter band wrench as close to the base of the filter as you can. There's a lot more metal there to grab.

I used to have an idiot boss who had a habit of putting the filters on real tight. On several occasions, I had to peel the outer shell completely away and loosen up on the base plate with a hammer and a long screwdriver or chisel. This was also a boss who was a know-it-all and nobody could tell him anything. He knew so much that he had no idea what G-05 antifreeze was and put Dex-Cool in all the Fords.

this is why i use motorcraft because i have the oil filter wrench that fits over the top

try to be careful you should be able to remove it with a strap wrench that has a swivel im sure you know this that it comes off counter clockwise.
Use a good quality wrench only
Actually the wrench shown in the post above will be great i have those at the shop

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Chisel at the baseplate is usually your last option if stabbing it still won't work.

+1

I cant add much to the above, but you might try some filter pliers, gripping it as close to the base as possible. Hope you have some clearance, if not you might not be able to use a chisel on it either. If you do, try to get to the base and drive it counter-clockwise. I've did one that I had to cut all the metal down to the base and drove it off. Resist the urge to drive the chisel between the filter and mount as it will probably damage the mounting pad.

Good Luck! If you can, post some pics so we can see what you are trying to do.

Sorry for the "dumb" qustion.....but you are twisting it off the correct way.....right?
smile.gif
Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey.....:) Just sayin'.....who had it last?

+1

Not a dumb question.

I remember my youngest brother (who at the time was into lifting weights), was under his car for over an hour and he finally said I have been working on this starter bolt for a long time and I can not get it to come loose. A friend asked "what direction are you turning it?" The friend then went under the car and showed him which way to turn it, and sure enough he had been tightening that bolt. And after tightening it so long and so many times, my brother had a heck of a time getting that bolt off.

Last edited:
use a strap wrench and grab it at the base of the oil cooler. I have gotten MANY overtightened filters off the fords like this.

Strap wrench if that doesn't work, a very large pair of channel lock pliers, last resort chisel it off the base. That's why I change my own oil, at least I know the right oil was used, in the right quantity, and the filter always comes off with ease.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
a very large pair of channel lock pliers...

That's how I've gotten them loose. Grip the closed end of the filter hard and twist.

Joel

Chisel at the baseplate is usually your last option if stabbing it still won't work.

Right, I did this once. The screwdriver tore through the entire case. I then used a drift (and a hammer) on the holes in the base plate to remove the filter!

Normally I use a "cammed" attachment on a 3/8 inch socket wrench, see following:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAM-STYLE-OIL-FILTER-WRENCH-SOCKET-CAM-ACTION-NEW-/260823489729

The end cap sockets are great also, but you need a different size for each filter size.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back