Oil Cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a local fast oil change shop, I was told my oil was looking like shellac and they could put an oil cleaner in before they drained the old oil. The price doesn't bother me ($12.50) but I would like to know if these things really work. I have been changing the oil every 5-6K miles. Any suggestions?

What they put in your oil was a strong solvent. I think all the fast-lube places try to add that on in the last minute. They add the solvent, run the engine for a few minutes and then drain the old oil. There has been plenty of discussion here on the dangers of adding a strong solvent, especially one that can only be in the engine for a few minutes, to clean the engine. Using Auto-Rx is a preferred alternate method to slowly clean contaminants from your engine and thereby from your oil. Please review messages here or visit www.auto-rx.com.

[ May 09, 2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: LarryD ]

Hi Bart

If you really want to know how your oil is doing. Use one of the site sponsors oil analysis kits and then post it for our comment.

Think of it as insurance.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
If it's 5-6k on dino oil, you probably do have shellac in your engine.

Depends what sort of dino. Mine has done 150,000 miles on dino since new, OC every 6,000 miles as per owners manual. Engine faultless.

We don't want to scare the customers.
grin.gif

But, seeing it is as it is, best shorten the OCI to 3,000 and use a good oil. Um, I like contradicting myself.
smile.gif

It would be nice to know what sort of motor, mileage and type of oil (brand and viscosity)was used.

Dave

[ May 10, 2004, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

A short while back, one of the southern California TV stations did an exposé on quicki-lube shops that pushed extra cost items. The managers didn't get their bonus in these shops unless a certain dollar volume of stuff was sold.

Ken

I think someone here refered to this sort of quicky-lube add on service as a "Wallet Flush"
lol.gif

Odds are that your engine is fine and they're just looking to screw you for another $12. If your scared or want to be sucked in the oil nerd club with the rest of us, get an oil analysis.

Oh, you should make certain that the quicky lube actually changes your oil filter...they have a tendancy to skip that on hard to reach filters (cough, Mazda & Saturn). A simple way to do this is to buy the appropriate SuperTech from Wal-Mart and have them use it...sure it will cost you an extra $1.97, but if you ask to see your old filter each time they change it, you'll have better peace of mind.

The reason that I suggested the SuperTech as opposed to even better filters is that it is superior to the Fram that they're going to use, espicially if that Fram is left on for 3 oil changes
freak2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back