26r vs 35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably need a new battery soon. My car can take either, but looking at the specs, the smaller 26r looks better and that's what I'm leaning towards. Any reason to take a bigger bodied battery?

Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 35
Cold Cranking Amps: 500 amps
Cranking Amps: 625 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting: Starting
Height: 8 13/16 in
Length: 9 11/16 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Reserve Capacity: 80 min
Terminal Type: Top Terminal
Voltage: 12 v
Weight: 34 lbs
Width: 6 7/8 in

Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 26R
Cold Cranking Amps: 575 amps
Cranking Amps: 720 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting: Starting
Height: 7 3/4 in
Length: 8 1/2 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Reserve Capacity: 81 min
Terminal Type: Top Terminal
Voltage: 12 v
Weight: 29 lbs
Width: 6 3/4 in

If it will fit, get a 24f. A 24f is usually more powerful and less expensive than a 35 of the same grade, and more powerful and about the same or only slightly more expensive than a 26r of the same grade.

You know the dimensions. How is your battery holder going to hold the smaller battery? Make sure it has sufficient adjustment to clamp the battery in place well.

Also, doesn't the 26R have the terminals (positive-negative) positioned opposite from the 35? Maybe you would need the 26. Be careful with this part.

If your battery holder can accommodate a battery 7/8 inch longer than the 35, consider the 24F. That should get more CCA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon
You know the dimensions. How is your battery holder going to hold the smaller battery? Make sure it has sufficient adjustment to clamp the battery in place well.

Also, doesn't the 26R have the terminals (positive-negative) positioned opposite from the 35? Maybe you would need the 26. Be careful with this part.

If your battery holder can accommodate a battery 7/8 inch longer than the 35, consider the 24F. That should get more CCA.

I'm sure I'll take a closer look while I'm at the store. I'm getting one of these from AAP, the internet pictures look like they're the actual battery.

2040050_svr_351_pri_larg.jpg
2040174_svr_26r3_pri_larg.jpg

35 top (or left)
The 26r has that raised middle rail, right where a clamp goes.

So, a bigger bodied battery doesn't matter at all huh?

Originally Posted By: cutter

So, a bigger bodied battery doesn't matter at all huh?

It depends on the battery tray.

Typically you will find a good thread about which batteries fit on a forum that specializes in your car model.

Cutter, thanks for the pics. The plastic piece you refer to as a "raised middle rail" is actually a spacer which is a seperate piece of plastic to be used under the battery case to raise it to the proper height. In some places, the spacer can be thrown away and not used. In others, it is used so as to enable the battery hold-down to be the correct level. I have serviced some of our cars, Hondas and Mazdas, using either the 26R or 35 battery with equal success.FWIW--Oldtommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back