Best octane booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boat requires premium only, and alot of it.
smile.gif
I want to keep a few bottles of octane booster in the boat in case regular is the only thing available at a marina or podunk gas station near my camp site. Anyone have any thoughts on what the best brand would be? Is it true that when they say something like "raises octane 8 points" that would be from 93 octane to 93.8?

Hmmm...after doing some searching I think I'll try some toulene. How much do I need to add to a gallon of 87 to bring it up to about 92? Is this the same way actual 92 is made? I know "gasoline" starts out at like 50 octane...

yep, toluene is your best bet unless you can find some unleaded, or even leaded, racing gas. Compare the prices per quantity and figure which is most cost effective. In any event, you'll have to add gallons of either to raise octane significantly, depending on how much fuel you run in your tank. Do a web search on toluene, I think you can add up to 15% safely (this is on a car though) with no ill effect, gasoline is already formulated with toluene. Something like up to 30% toluene can be done, or so I've read, before you have to start to worry. Toluene is something like 106 octane.

Another is xylene, but I don't know the mix numbers.

Alright, I can't find any toluene around here. The only thing I see is xylene. What's the difference between the two? How much xylene should I use?

The NOS Off-road actually seems to work pretty good for me. I can tell a difference when I run this stuff.

Most those octane boosters in a can are loaded with MMT which will eventually coat and foul your plugs to the point misfires will develop.

We've actually seen good results with the NOS racing formula, in the black bottle. This is neither the off-road formula or the street formula. It is the one that has nitromethane in it as well. We've been able to run more timing and/or boost with this product than alone on pump gas.

Regards,

Ethan

I have a 2000 Celica GT-S (2ZZ-GE) with 11.5:1 compression ratio.

I ran about 7 gallons of Shell's V-Power 93 and a gallon of toluene and reset the computer in my car.

I used to have a ton of knocking at low RPM and when I did this it was all gone, car felt quite a bit stronger the longer I ran it.

I'm pretty sure I got a few extra hp but without a dyno run I can't be sure.

Andy

quote:

Originally posted by Ethan:
We've actually seen good results with the NOS racing formula, in the black bottle. This is neither the off-road formula or the street formula. It is the one that has nitromethane in it as well. We've been able to run more timing and/or boost with this product than alone on pump gas.

Regards,

Ethan

That's the product I was referring to in my earlier post. My bad. That stuff works buddy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back