Nexen Tires... they better than Kumho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kumho tires have been the best Bang for the buck tires I ever bought. This generalization of saying those are garbage, and can-of-death product toward a specific company is idiotic. Go to a company like TireRack and do some homework. You may not find a budget, bottom line tire there though, which sounds like the quest.

I have 3 different kinds if tires on my car and the Nexen CP641 picks up the most and biggest stones because the grooves are too wide.

Nexen tires are good "race" tires...some of the better/best handling tires when it comes sporty handling.

Tread life and good in all seasons? That is a different story....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
Nexen is made by Michelin. Nothing wrong with them. We sell tons of them and have never had any complaints.

Um, no. Last I heard, Michelin had no joint ventures like that...

Lots of negativity but Consumer Reports testing them(Nexen CP672) and they came in third in overall for performance all-seasons after Michelin and Continental tires.

I have no idea on longevity. But I think folks are bashing without any real experience with them.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I have 3 different kinds if tires on my car and the Nexen CP641 picks up the most and biggest stones because the grooves are too wide.

That's the same model tire that is available in my size.

What size tires are yours and if you still have them and if its convenient, mind posting a picture or something so I can see the difference in tread space width?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Lots of negativity but Consumer Reports testing them(Nexen CP672) and they came in third in overall for performance all-seasons after Michelin and Continental tires.

I have no idea on longevity. But I think folks are bashing without any real experience with them.

I just double-checked and the Nexen CP672 did get a high rating in the H rated performance all season category. I wonder if that specific model is made in China or Korea?

EDIT - in another recent thread a member here claims they're made in Korea.

Originally Posted By: salv
Nexen is made by Michelin. Nothing wrong with them. We sell tons of them and have never had any complaints.

Taken from the Nexen US website.

Quote:
Originally established in 1942 as Heung-A Tire, Nexen Tire has over 60 years of tradition as a respected leader in the tire industry. Acknowledged as Korea’s first tire company, we first began car tire production in 1956.

Over 30 years later, in 1985, the company was expanded through the construction of a radial tire factory in Yangsan, Korea. Through an alliance six years later with a Japanese company, OHTSU Tire & Rubber, we furthered our technological know-how and manufacturing capabilities.

In an effort to reflect our dedication to quality and continued leadership, we changed the company name in 2000 from Woosung Tire to Nexen Tire Corporation. The name Nexen is a combination of two future-oriented words; next and century. That same year also saw Nexen Tire listed on the KOSPI 200 Index future market.

It looks like Nexen and Michelin have been in talks to form a joint venture. I don't know if they had any kind of joint venture in the past.
http://www.tirereview.com/article/101625/so_what_is_really_happening_between_nexen_and_michelin.aspx
Quote:
Nexen Tire Corp. claims it has reopened talks with Groupe Michelin about a potential but undefined joint venture.

For its part, Michelin has offered no comment.

The comments were made in a June 8 filing by Nexen on the Korean Stock Exchange. In the statement, Nexen reportedly said earlier talks – denied by both parties at the time – between the two tiremakers did not “meet the requirements of Nexen,” the South Korean firm fully expects current talks to continue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back