Nexen Tires... they better than Kumho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shopping around for some tires to replace my [censored] kumhos.

I looked up the company and they are from Korea, and so are Kumho and Hankook tires.

After some googling around I couldn't get enough reviews on this brand to really determine if I should consider them.

My goal is to get a good tire for a little as possible.

Has anybody here had any experience with this tire brand, particularly the CP641 Nexen tire or equivalent?

The tire that they carry for my car is the CP641 and has a 50k mile tread warranty and wal-mart carries it for $74/tire. Way cheaper than the Kumhos, which are rated average.

Any feedback?

I think you're making generalizations on brand that you really can't make for tires. Also, are the Kumho's you don't like what came OEM on your car? If so, they're likely different than what you'd buy aftermarket (even from Kumho) and if wet traction is your complaint it shouldn't be hard to do better.

Some forum favorites are the Pirelli p4, General Altimax, Cooper CS4... maybe you can find a deal on one of these?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Also, are the Kumho's you don't like what came OEM on your car? If so, they're likely different than what you'd buy aftermarket (even from Kumho)

Agreed. Most OEM tires are built to a certain spec and are inferior in a number of characteristics, mostly in order to maximize MPG. This is not indicative of the rest of a particular tire mfg's product line.

I haven't heard anything positive about Nexen tires (all negative).

The OE Hankook's on the 2008 Elantra (Optimo 426's I think) were GARBAGE.
The Hankook 727's are a very nice, long lasting tire.

My experience with Kumho's is that they are a decent tire but don't last nearly as long as they are rated (KR 21's)

Look at Dunlop Tyres, they're almost IDENTICAL to the Goodyear counterpart.

Bought mine (Dunlop Rover H/T) and they were almost Identical to the Wranglers, Cheaper, longer warranty AND had a bigger rebate than the Wranglers.

Last edited:
Goodyear assurance comfortred if available in your size. 160$ rebate with a Goodyear card. If you take a printout of the tires with shipping quote from tirerack, most of your local Goodyears will match it. Stay away from nexen . Haven't heard a single good thing about them.

As mentioned upthread, what comes OEM by the vehicle manufacturer doesn't mean all of that tire make is of the same quality. I've run Kumhos and have been pleased with them. Often times OEM's are chosen and spec'ed to a price point. Other offerings usually are better, regardless of brand.

Just bought a set of Nexen summer tires N3000 / 225/45/17

Cant really comment to extensively as I have maybe 600 miles on them. They do have a very stiff side wall which I like

Ive read the reviews on the N3000 & have been given many decent/positive reviews
I know youre looking at a different tire but wanted to give you my opinion on the brand

Joe

Like any other tire brand, some of Kumho's offerings are great and some of them are junk. Even Michelin and Bridgestone have a few turds in their lineups just to fill certain gaps.

I'd buy another set of Kumhos in a second, given they were researched and were what I wanted.

Nexen.are relatively common in the UK.

They appear to be a low budget tyre priced below the normal Korean makes.

I must admit I thought they were Chinese.

Have heard no good reports. But nothing specifically bad.

I doubt you will get 50k miles out a set though.

Hankook are a better tyre imho.

However are Nexen going to be the next Toyo?

I am considering them for the rear of my Pathfinder. As £165 each for Goodyear is a bit rich at the moment.

Nexen will be near £110/120 range fitted.

Though I have seen Maxxis and Hankook on Camski for £91 + fitting and delivery.

Just bought a set of Cooper Discover tires and could not be more pleased! Got a $50.00 rebate too.

Had a set of Nexen but like these a lot better.

They might have been talking over the past year. They are not anywhere near Michelins. Sounds like Nexxen tire rep talk to increase sales. Now Riken I understand is a different story.

Originally Posted By: salv
Nexen is made by Michelin. Nothing wrong with them. We sell tons of them and have never had any complaints.

This just means there are no severe build quality issues (e.g. blowouts and such). That's a very good thing, obviously -- but it doesn't mean the tires are any good. I think it's a safe bet that the VAST majority of people who buy budget tires (or any tire, for that matter) either don't know how to tell when a tire sucks (e.g. grip, noise, harsh ride), or they just don't care for one reason or another. Whatever the case, they probably won't complain even if their tires are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back