Duralast, Autocraft, Diehard Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. For the past few days I have been noticing that my car is starting harder and harder. With a 7 year old original battery I am not suprised. The only options I have close by are chain store batteries.

I was wondering what the BITOGers opinions are between the Duralast, Autocraft or Die Hard and which one I should go for. I will be replacing my battery after work tonight. Thanks everybody!

Which one you get, me, I'd be sure it's something like made by Johnson Controls.
If you have a Costco, they have decent priced batteries.

I've had three Autocrafts personally and two in my in-laws cars, and all have been trouble-free. I plan on putting another in the wife's car in the spring.

Duralast Gold from Autozone. Best battery I have ever used here in the Florida heat and humidity. Duralast Gold should also stand up to Boston's freezing cold temperatures just as well as they do in the heat.

Buy the best value battery: easiest to get, lowest price & longest warranty. It's a Pep Girls Bosch for my Golf and will be a Costco battery for the 5 when it needs one.

Costco doesn't carry a group 94R battery for my Golf, or it would have one. They used to carry a group 48 battery that fit in our traded-in New Beetle TDI... gave me all of my money back when I tried to exchange it as they stopped carrying that size.

I also always write the purchase date on the battery with a paint marker, scan my receipt & email myself the PDF so I can find it easily when the time comes for a replacement.

The Wal-Mart Battery gets good reviews - Warranty is a plus with the many locations of their stores too.

Don't know who makes them but there is only a few factories now that make all the various brands.

Id initially say walmart because they are all over and have fresh stock. But I havent been too impressed with thier batteries.

Id say autocraft silver with a coupon.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
The Wal-Mart Battery gets good reviews - Warranty is a plus with the many locations of their stores too.

Except WM doesnt have any pro rated warranty period. AZ, Advance, & PB does.

Advance Auto with online discount code will probably be your best price. The last one I bought about 5 months ago was a Johnson Controls made battery for my Sonata.

Last edited:
I believe that the Autozone, Advance, and (many) Sears batteries are all made by Johnson Controls. Sears does have a platinum line which are AGM batteries and have a 10 year life, but cost $200+. my last two batteries came from Sam's Club and are made by Penn Mfg.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id initially say walmart because they are all over and have fresh stock. But I havent been too impressed with thier batteries.

Especially if it is a (N)Everstart; their MC batteries are worthless and with no prorated period, they became core trade-ins for Duralast batteries in my case.

I have good luck with autozone duralast batteries, just the plain ones not the gold. terrible luck with neverstart from walmart. ask the critic on neverstart batteries from walmart.

I've had decent luck with the Autozone Gold. Had one go bad after 3 years, but with the Texas heat that is pretty much the norm down here.

The battery I just got from Autozone was a Johnson Controls. The Exide battery I got from O'Reilly's was total garbage. They would have given me the prorated warranty on it, but I'd have just gotten another lousy battery.

Thing is, I don't know if battery manufacturer is a regional thing or not. The Duralast batteries in my area are JC, so I'm hoping it will fare better than my prior battery. I now believe much of what I've read on the interwebs (after the fact) that Exide batteries aren't that great. Mine didn't make it 3 years.

This is my third summer with the Duralast Gold in my truck. I work at home so my truck often sits for 4 and 5 days without being driven. Truck always fires right on up with just a blip of the ignition key, each and every time. Duralast Gold is an excellent battery. I can not say the same for the Autocraft SIlver I had before it. The Autocraft barely lasted two years. I put a Duralast Gold in my wife's Honda during the same week that I installed my own battery. Wife's car always starts right up too.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Sears does have a platinum line which are AGM batteries and have a 10 year life, but cost $200+.

^^^THIS is what I would suggest (and what I'm getting next), but I know that most on here would NOT pay this premium for a battery, no matter how great, leakproof, or long-lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back