Where 'oh where has the OHV gone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an old timer who has worked on cars for over 40 years I am in the simplicity camp.

No way can a vastly more complex DOHC motor with VVT and all those pieces and parts last as long as a simple OHV pushrod motor.

Also, there's packaging. Ever see an ls7 out of the car? It's one of the smallest v8's you ever imagined. Those Fords with the mega heads are HUGE up top and create very real packaging issues. They are also heavier.

Chryslers new gen Hemi with just shy of 400hp, full VVT, MDS, and excellent fuel economy proves that pushrods don't give up much to the Cammers!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No way can a vastly more complex DOHC motor with VVT and all those pieces and parts last as long as a simple OHV pushrod motor.

Sure they can. Modern engines with all those advancements typically last much, much longer than the old-time pushrod engines ever did. A more apples to apples comparison: today's Ford, Toyota, and Nissan OHC V8s sure don't give up any longevity to today's Chevy or Chrysler pushrod V8s.

Fuel economy is not a strong point of the relatively small 3.0 pushrod V6 in my truck. Some of that is the application it is in, but the Taurus never got great fuel economy with the Vulcan engine either. It's good enough though, anywhere from 15-22 MPG with regular gas depending on what kind of driving I'm doing. That's about what a 3.7L F-150 would probably get.

I do like the packaging of the small pushrod V6 though...mostly. The engine in my truck is physically small and things like spark plugs are really easy to change. It would look a lot better and be even easier to work on if it wasn't for Ford's haphazard and excessive use of hoses and vacuum lines. It has nice cast aluminum valve covers that would look good polished up, but they can hardly be seen through all the hoses and wires anyway.

Reliability is a big plus too, but I don't think most car buyers really care that much about engine reliability. As long as the timing belt breaks after the lease is up they don't care.

Originally Posted By: chiks
Since when did the method of operating the valves on an engine dictate how much torque it made?

Since the beginning of time..?

It's not so much the method of operating the valves, as much as it is the strengths and limitations you introduce with each design.

Having pushrods limits the number and location of the valves, therefore the engineers do not have as much freedom in combustion chamber design.

In an overhead cam engine, you don't have the same limitations on the valve geometry, it is a lot more flexible.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Quote:
Also, I don't see how my OHC dyno graph example is apples and oranges?

I guess I just don't see where I made the statement that OHC engines only produce power up top. Again, you're reading between the lines something that's not there.

But I'm not.

You stated:

Quote:
With its torque down low and its midrange pull

Quote:
thus would benefit from a wide torque curve, with peak torque at lower RPM's, typically what you get from an OHV design.

This implies exactly what I said it implies: The myth that OHC engines don't make power down low. That's why I mentioned it.

Quote:
I never included low end torque as any of the three primary reasons I like pushrod motors. The reason for that is that it's not an advantage-- If you want an OHC engine with gobs of low RPM torque, they're out there. It's all in the design.

But you did mention it twice in the post. Again, it wasn't the focus of my discussion with you, but I mentioned it because you did.

Quote:
My last truck, an Supercharged Nissan Frontier made 248 ft-lbs @ 2000-2800rpm, yet had no power up top. This completely contradicts your inference that I believe OHC engines are high-strung and only make peak power at high RPM.

No, it just completely contradicts your reasoning for mentioning what you did in the OP. I didn't say you "believed" anything. I simply played off the statements made and mentioned that there was a myth about OHC engines making no torque.

Quote:
The fact that an internet myth exists is wonderful but irrelevant.

It's completely relevant, particularly since you mentioned it in entrance line of your original post.
21.gif
I don't see why this is such a big deal?

Quote:
I wouldn't be posting on this forum if I didn't welcome discussion on the topic. Frankly I don't care whether or not you agree with me. We're both aware how quickly these types of topics turn into a mud slinging contest. When the first post out of the gate intends to discredit and prove me wrong, it's easy to view it in a hostile light.

I don't think I came off hostile at all. I do however think you are coming off as hostile right now.

Quote:
The BMW example you gave is a poor one for this purpose. You're comparing a state of the art, high-compression V8 with dual variable valve timing, individual throttle bodies, and a host of other advancements to run-of-the-mill pushrod motors where one of the primary considerations is cost.

No, I compared a state of the art DOHC V8 that was as you described to a SUPERCHARGED pushrod V6 with a roots-type blower, which are known for making oodles of power down low. My point was to illustrate that this kind of torque could be made with an N/A DOHC engine when one has the ability to control valve timing. Ford is now doing the same thing with Coyote.

Quote:
That's about as productive as comparing GM's best pushrod motor to Ford's 4.0L SOHC V6 and using that as the basis for pointing out the pros and cons of each.

No, it would be like comparing the LS7's torque output to that of the Ecoboost. Which heck, might even be a worthwhile topic to explore.

Quote:
Ultimately, I'm not even sure why you are so stuck on proving that OHC engines make power down low, as this was never a point that was argued, and as such is an exercise in futility.

Then why did you mention it twice in the OP?

And you've obviously not read the rest of my contributions to this thread as that is far from the crux of my argument, as my discussions with chevyboy delved into the topic of power delivery, design and displacement, all of which are certainly relevant to where an engine makes power, regardless of the type of valvetrain setup it has.

Originally Posted By: chiks
Since when did the method of operating the valves on an engine dictate how much torque it made?

Since the beginning of time..?

It's not so much the method of operating the valves, as much as it is the strengths and limitations you introduce with each design.

Having pushrods limits the number and location of the valves, therefore the engineers do not have as much freedom in combustion chamber design.

In an overhead cam engine, you don't have the same limitations on the valve geometry, it is a lot more flexible.

if so, then why the love for pushrod engines, If OHC is so much better?
That is my point. Thank you for walking along with me.

Pushrod is actually a newer design than OHC, believe it or not.

Pushrod engines are physically smaller than OHC engines when talking about a V6 or V8. They're generally slightly easier to service if in a V configuration, although that is still subject to the individual car in question. And, it's likely simpler/easier to have all the stuff that needs to be pressure-lubricated located close together so an oil pump can be made smaller/cheaper. It also can shorten a timing chain, reducing the likelihood of failure on that system. I've heard of many a DOHC V6 having timing chain/timing issues, and rarely a pushrod V6 unless it was a poorly-implemented design (plastic timing gears on GM engines, blech!). All of that taken together just may be "designing in" less chances for servicing errors when out in the field. I'm not sure if my statement about the oil pump is accurate, but it sure seems logical!

Also, when pushrod engines became popular, metallurgy wasn't as good, so metal things broke more. Lubricants also were in the dark ages. Having more solid pieces moving instead of relying on the zillion parts of a timing chain or the diciness of a rubber timing belt staying together might have seemed like a safer engineering choice at the time.

A pushrod 3800 V6 in a Bonneville/LeSabre engine bay is pretty easy to service most of the stuff that needs regular servicing. A "small" engine in a large engine bay has that advantage.

Now for packaging purposes, a OHC I4 can be made to toy-like proportions. Everything's stacked vertically on that engine type, so OHC can make for a simple layout.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

Sure they can. Modern engines with all those advancements typically last much, much longer than the old-time pushrod engines ever did. A more apples to apples comparison: today's Ford, Toyota, and Nissan OHC V8s sure don't give up any longevity to today's Chevy or Chrysler pushrod V8s.

Excuse me, as I run a FLEET business.

I also hang out with other fleet owners, and keep up with most of the trucks sold in America that can be used to make money.

No emotions here, but SIMPLER always wins the race. Find me a DOHC V8 from anyone with 400 thousand plus miles on it that runs perfectly and uses no oil, doesn't knock or smoke, no drips, etc.

I own one, and have two other GMC's headed the same way with well over 200k miles. Two huge local fleets run Fords and have a real problem with them at 150-200k because the cam chains stretch and bugger up a good motor. The bottom ends are fine but the engine needs a big repair, which can cost a ton of dough.

I will repeat that simple wins this race, not complexity. Real economy of operation includes much more than just fuel mileage. I would never deny that the DOHC is superior at power production or fuel economy but I have seen personally how the true cost is paid much later on these engines.

I would never deny that the DOHC is superior at power production or fuel economy but I have seen personally how the true cost is paid much later on these engines.

I'm curious: Was the "true cost" in excess of fuel savings? IOW was the 200k timing chain repair (or whatever it was) in excess of fuel savings?

I'm guessing it is: a totally wild guess of 20mpg vs 21mpg, 200kmiles, $3.50/gallon is a paltry $1,667 saved. Probably a drop in the bucket for any sort of DOHC timing chain repairs. OTOH if it was going from 15mpg to 16mpg then the difference, at $3.50/gallon again, was $2,917 in fuel savings.... ?

BUT of course, unexpected downtime has a cost of its own.

Originally Posted By: supton
I would never deny that the DOHC is superior at power production or fuel economy but I have seen personally how the true cost is paid much later on these engines.

I'm curious: Was the "true cost" in excess of fuel savings? IOW was the 200k timing chain repair (or whatever it was) in excess of fuel savings?

I'm guessing it is: a totally wild guess of 20mpg vs 21mpg, 200kmiles, $3.50/gallon is a paltry $1,667 saved. Probably a drop in the bucket for any sort of DOHC timing chain repairs. OTOH if it was going from 15mpg to 16mpg then the difference, at $3.50/gallon again, was $2,917 in fuel savings.... ?

BUT of course, unexpected downtime has a cost of its own.

That last line is the gem. Downtime here costs us in many ways beyond the immediate cash flow lost. I would cheerfully pay extra for repairs that could somehow be done in advance of our needs!

Yep, I hear you. While I don't work in manufacturing I work close enough to know. I also know for myself unexpected downtime of my personal vehicle is nearly unacceptable also.

For giggles if you do a search on Autotrader of the highest mileage vehicles they have on their. Over 300k miles its all Chevy and Ford vans/trucks, also panther platforms. Dodge Rams as well, but not really the gas ones, mostly the Cummins trucks. Sure an oddball makes it up their too, but percentage wise they are just that, oddballs.

Its not scientific, but it seems that simple body on frame vehicles with simple engines are able to really go the distance.

Last edited:
If you think DOHC, VVT, Yes they are more complex. But if you are just talking a typical 80's era OHC (like a Toyota 22R)
How are they more complex?

Yes an OHC dos have some limitations. A longer Cam drive (chain might stretch, or you may have a Belt) and the engine tends to be taller. But you can often have fewer components like push rods and and rockers, valve adjusters etc.
Have you ever heard of Bent Push rods or broken rockers?

As has been stated, Torque is not a matter of Cam position, neither is engine life expectancy, possible economy or Down time! Again i can refer to the Toyota 22R!

Quote:
"Its not scientific, but it seems that simple body on frame vehicles with simple engines are able to really go the distance."

I agree, but that can also be an OHC.

Last edited:
I own one, and have two other GMC's headed the same way with well over 200k miles. Two huge local fleets run Fords and have a real problem with them at 150-200k because the cam chains stretch and bugger up a good motor.

Well, I know a guy who offers cam degree services using a set of 500,000 mile Modular 2V primary chains. That 500K chain degrees dead on with brand new chains.

I'd put typical Modular longevity up against just about any other gasoline V8.

Also, there's packaging. Ever see an ls7 out of the car? It's one of the smallest v8's you ever imagined. Those Fords with the mega heads are HUGE up top and create very real packaging issues. They are also heavier.

From January 2006 issue of Sports Car International on page 25 (regarding the LS7):

"The net result is a fully trimmed engine that weighs 458 pounds, only 10 more than the 6.0-liter LS2.

For comparison, AMG's all-new 6.3 liter V-8 (it is actually a 6.2 liter V-8, but it will be called a 6.3 liter V-8 to pay homage to the 250 hp 1967-1972 300SEL 6.3) weighs 438 pounds vs. 485 pounds (old 5.4 liter supercharged V-8). The new V-8 has 510 hp at 6,800 rpm and 630 Nm at 5200 rpm."

The AMG 6.3 is a DOHC 4V VVT engine.
The 5.0 4V Coyote weighs 425 lbs per Mike Harrison.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Well, I know a guy who offers cam degree services using a set of 500,000 mile Modular 2V primary chains.

Aren't they only a couple of feet long when new ?

Ever hear of a timing belt on a pushrod motor?

Fiat 132. Isuzu 4JG2 and Ford Transit in more modern times. Best thing about a belt driven pushrod engine? Bent pushrods with a broken belt. With a belt driven diesel a broken belt is always a problem, on a pushrod engine it's a just a couple of pushrods...no sweat.

Biggest downside of OHC engines is the added labour cost on engine repairs. We used to pull heads on pushrod engines in 30 to 45 minutes - a head gasket job on an inline 4 or 6 was 3 to 5 hours depending on cleaning and prep. Now days the job costs more than the vehicle is worth.

In the motorcycle world - I'm just loving my pushrod BMW,I don't have to spend half a day dismantling stuff just to check valve clearances, now it's half an hour with one hand holding a beer.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I own one, and have two other GMC's headed the same way with well over 200k miles. Two huge local fleets run Fords and have a real problem with them at 150-200k because the cam chains stretch and bugger up a good motor.

Well, I know a guy who offers cam degree services using a set of 500,000 mile Modular 2V primary chains. That 500K chain degrees dead on with brand new chains.

I'd put typical Modular longevity up against just about any other gasoline V8.

Just so you add a huge caveat. All that chain means it requires more frequent oil changes and/or better quality oil.

Meticulously maintained? Then any motor goes big miles.

And will everyone please note that I was speaking to DOHC/VVT/loaded with every new trick motors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back