Gun Range Hearing Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Ive been using the same hearing protection for the past several years, its a Peltor Ultimate 10 (NRR 30). I always double up with ear plugs as well, but im still not happy with the noise reduction lately. I used to shoot at an outdoor range, where the ear muffs worked well, I just joined an indoor range and would like better hearing protection.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

your ear plugs may be keeping the ear muffs from sealing. I've never had a problem with ear muffs not protecting enough.

I double up too. I use earplugs that I cut the cord off of and newer muffed that work over my glasses. Also you need to really cram those plugs in. Be careful but don't be shy.

There is a simple old way for calculating NRR for doubling up. You DO NOT get double protection. If you have ear muffs with a NRR of 26 and plugs at 32, you take the higher number and only add 5 to the NRR. So in this case 32 + 5 = 37 NRR. Foam ear plugs have some of the best NRR at 32. There are more complex ways to figure it out but this is a good guideline to use.

Last edited:
I can't stand foam ear plugs they never work and once you do get them shoved in their they only seem to stay in for about 5 minutes or so.

Hate indoor ranges (been in one twice in the last 20+ years and hated both times)

I've found ear plugs put in correctly work quite well.

Bill

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I can't stand foam ear plugs they never work and once you do get them shoved in their they only seem to stay in for about 5 minutes or so.

Could be a few things here. First, you might not be putting them in correctly buy pulling down on your ear lobe and then sqeezing and putting them in all the way. Second, the round cylinder plugs are the worst out there comfort/fit wise, if thats what you use I'd try something different. Third, you could have very narrow ear canals.

This is my favorite ear foam ear plugs:
http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDetail.aspx?Category=411&product=MOL6870
http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDetail.aspx?Category=411&product=HLILL-1

Being tapered really helps them stay in place. The second link, the laser lite plugs are very soft and you can squish them quite a bit so they fit into smaller ears very well.

Last edited:
Correct deep-insertion of plugs will give up to 40dB of sound reduction.

Most people do not insert plugs correctly and only get 20 as a result.

The human skull itself will transmit vibration to the ear canal, so short of wearing an insulated helmet, there is only so much that plugs and muffs can do.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Correct deep-insertion of plugs will give up to 40dB of sound reduction.

Most people do not insert plugs correctly and only get 20 as a result.

Incorrect, the highest NRR issued is 33dB. With using the "easy" way, the highest NRR you can get with doubling up would be 38dB. Per OSHA, you can only add 5 dB, some information out there on the internet is not correct. Thats if you don't use the reduced NRR calculation that is now being pushed for employers.

Last edited:
I don't understand why this is an issue. Some must have very sensitive ears. I just wear some simple muffs I got from Cabelas for about $40 and they are more than enough protection.
Guns do go pop....it's part of shooting. With any basic ear muffs I'm sure your ears are better protected than when using an ipod at modest volume.

My Walmart bought earmuffs do just fine.

It's the idiots that don't bring any, then get upset when you shoot. (One idiot brought his 9yr old grandson, neither had any ear protection.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back