Creaking front end

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 Grand Caravan, the old girl is showing her age. On the right side, she kind of creaks (sounds like a matress spring) when I go over bumps. Not awful but creaky.

I tried using a grease gun but I don't think I did it right. I had it loaded up, put the end on the nipple of the sway bar and thought the grease would on right in but it just kind of smeared all over. Am I applying it wrong?

Think that is it, sway bar?

Last edited:
So many possibilities...bushings, strut mounts, struts themselves...but I would start with the rest of the bushings...squirt some WD-40 on each one and see if you lose the squeak.

When you find it, replace it...

I found the source of my creaking in my Toyota; it was worn out steering stabilizer links. Having the car lifted aggravated the situation; just something to consider.

I had the same issue on my Chrysler 300. Few things happened. The struts where shot, riding on springs to much( springy sound). Also outer tie rod end(clucking/rubbing noise), in addition has some minor clucking sound, that was sway bar bushings(clunking sound).

The times I have had creaks from.the front I have cured it by either replacing the anti roll bar drop links or the lower suspension arms.

Though the tip of spraying wd40 would work. I have a mate that does the same but with silicon spray.

It is most likely the sway bar bushings and or links that require replacement. Take some silicon based lubricant and spray directly on the bushings. If it stops the noise you have found the culprit. However it is not advisable to use a petroleum based product such as wd-40 on bushings as it will harm the rubber in the bushings themselves.

^ yup the end links are junk on those vans they are like a girdle on a fat chick they have their work cut out for them. New ones are only around $12 and the little ball joints just snap; no grease will help at this point.

When they go the van will tip over in modest turns and remind you of a sailboat.

Any spray lube should mask the noise for a day.
Judiciously apply it in isolated spots to determine which is the offender. If you do all at once , how will you know?
A arm bushings are #1, and sway bars or links #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back