Briggs&Stratton SAE 30 SJ/CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what brand oil carries the SJ/CF rating ? All oil brands i looked at are SN rated ,At 7-8 bucks a quart for the factory Briggs oil is a bit much

SJ is deprecated. A few of the powersports (ATV, snowmobile, etc) oils carry it. You should be able to run a newer SAE 30 without any issues.

I think that price for the Briggs oil is for a 48 oz (1.5 qt) bottle.

Rotella T1 straight 30 is API CF. I would use with confidence if going straight 30 weight.

I just put Amsoil ASE in three of my mowers this past weekend. Paid 8.50 qt from my local Amsoil distributor. Only took 4 qts to do two tractors and one push mower and I have 3 oz left over. I figure this is once a year so for me so worth the extra cost for a premium oil.

Just use Rotella 30 wt. It used to carry SJ but it was taken off the bottle as SJ is no longer supported. Use it all the time in my Briggs.

I am currently using M1 5W30 or 10W30 High Mileage oil in all of my OPE, as it is still SL rated, with a full complement of antiwear additives and detergents. Non of my OPE burns any of this oil in a one year OCI.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I run Amsoil ACD because it really is a 30wt that flows like a 10.

Does this imply that ASE is not? (I am asking as I do not know) I had considered the ACD due to the higher TBN but figured I would get the oil indicated for the specific application. If ACD is superior for small engines I may try it next oil change.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: jdawg89
I put in whatevers on sale. Usually the acell stuff at walmart. Sa rated

Why not just Mazola then?

LOL, not much difference but I prefer Wesson...

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I use Accel ND30 in yard equipment with very good results for the past 10 years.

An SA (non-detergent) oil will probably cut it for most small engines, but it's not recommended! Just wondering, why do you use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back