storing a fuel injected vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually when people store a carbureted vehicle for a long time without stabilizer the gas cloggs up the carburetor. Does this happen with a fuel injected vehicle? If so how do you unclogg a fuel injector?

I still would use Stabil before and if not I would dump in a couple 20 oz bottles of Techron and hope for the best.

Gas can also turn into a funky low octane varnish. Use the stuff! Double the dose for giggles, you never know if something will interfere and lengthen the duration of storage.

I'll third the previous comments. Stabil it!

As an aside, I believe Stabil is much easier on modern cars' sensors than a strong dose of fuel system cleaner, so there's one more reason to use Stabil to prevent the problem. Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have stored several cars for as long as 2 years and have never had a problem when I had added STABIL to the tank before storage.
When I bring the car out of storage, I usually top up the gas every time it needs a few gallons so as to inject fresh fuel into the system...

I bought several bottles of STABIL years ago on CLEARANCE.
DOES it go bad?

Stabil and MMO or Stabil and TCW3 added to a partially filled tank, then filler up and take it for a nice drive. If using MMO you can go heavy on the dose. Be careful with TCW3 you can foul plugs if you dose it too much. A thin film of a UCL also coats injector internals, and prevents flash rusting in the cylinders, especially if you live near the ocean.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I
I bought several bottles of STABIL years ago on CLEARANCE.
DOES it go bad?

Not if you add new Sta-bil every year...
27.gif

Injectors will gum up and stick if allowed to set for long periods, in most cases they will need to be removed to be cleaned... Basically in a returnless system it's impossible to get the cleaner inside the injector, but on a return type there is a possible work around... If the fuel pump can be run with the engine off(most have a jumper or service mode that will run the pump with ign on), then MAYBE the circulating cleaner would do some good...

The above didn't work on a 2.3 Turbo T-Bird that had stuck injectors from setting several years, so I siphon fed it through a vacuum port(you need a really small piece of tubing)... Only after the engine was hot, did the gummed up injectors began to free themselves...

Follow the directions on the Stabil website. For storage over 1 year use marine stabil (green) it works great.

Originally Posted By: pbm
When I bring the car out of storage, I usually top up the gas every time it needs a few gallons so as to inject fresh fuel into the system...

I do the opposite. I run the tank out until its on fumes, then I refill with a top teir gas and GumOut Regane or other PEA injector clener. That way the stale gas is outta there ASAP.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Follow the directions on the Stabil website. For storage over 1 year use marine stabil (green) it works great.

StaBil also says you can use a 2X dose for a 2 year storage. It's on the label in small print, but not everyone knows about it. A 2X dose has lasted me for 2.5 years, and my truck fired right up.

Run Techron though the tank. Then add Stabil right when you are going to store it and fill it up.
Use a healthy dose.
It is your best bet.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Run Techron though the tank. Then add Stabil right when you are going to store it and fill it up.
Use a healthy dose.
It is your best bet.

Have I been drinking too much or are you basically saying "the more old stale bad gas the better"?

There is another interesting option for long term storage.

VP racing fuels produces a street gas product called C9. It's 96 octane, alcohol free, unleaded and is specifically designed to last for many, many years.

It is, in essence, the perfect storage fuel. It will easily last 5 years (and very likely 10 or more) without any sort of degradation. We've had VP fuels that were over 10 years old, and still as potent and "gum free" as the day they were made. I understand the "spec" is for 2 years of storage. You will get much more out of this fuel, as it does not contain components that degrade over time. Much like opening a 40 year old gallon of toluene. It's still fresh!

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/storagefuels

Last edited:
Oh, and before you think that "sta-bil" will work wonders on E-10 fuel, think again. Fuels that contain ethanol degrade no matter what you do. Untreated E-10 fuel has a shelf life of about 90 days. Treated E-10 can be double that, but not much more with any certainty.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Use a healthy dose.
It is your best bet.

Have I been drinking too much or are you basically saying "the more old stale bad gas the better"?

Interestingly enough, he is right. Fill it UP. I fill mine until it comes to the top of the filler neck. What this does is eliminate the vapor space -- or air, above the gas. This prevents condensation and degradation by effectively "sealing" the gas. This WILL help you tank stay fresher.

What about running it low and then pouring in some CO2 or R134a to keep air off the gas? Would that work?

What about running it low and then pouring in some CO2 or R134a to keep air off the gas? Would that work?

Whatever, man. You sound sooooo smart with that statement you must know it all. Go ahead, "pour in your R134a". Have at it.
smirk.gif

I'm not asking the question because I know it all. I'm asking a question because others who know more than me might think about it for a minute and have a good answer.

Inerting a fuel tank is common with certain vehicles. Typically, dry nitrogen is used. However, in the case of fuel containing alcohol, the alcohol is an oxygenate and oxidation will occur no matter what you do.

So, it's a valid idea, but not for modern gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back