Best H3 bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pathfinder uses 55W H3 bulbs in the fog lamps. I recently replaced the driver's side fog lamp due to a hole in the glass housing, and that side is brighter than the passenger side as a result. I'm thinking about replacing both to hopefully equalize the brightness. Is there any "best" H3 bulb, or should I just get any name-brand non-tinted bulbs (Philips, Sylvania, GE, etc)? What about 100W bulbs?

The small amount of extra light output from a 100W bulb would probably be wasted anyway. Too much output from fog lamps makes it harder to see further out and you'll have to drive that much slower in fog to be safe.

You can get good info at Dan Stern Lighting.com. Often recommended on this site. H3's come in different wattages, but there is also the chance that the reflector in the "dim" lamp is tarnished or otherwise defective.

Serach for H3 bulb in automotive section of Amazon you will find many choices.

HELLA H83135241- 35W for $4.7/ea
HELLA H83135051- 55W for $6/ea

Hella is a reputable company, both bulbs are highly rated by reviewers. I would stay with 55W.

The Narva Rangepower +50 bulbs look good, and Daniel Stern sells them on his site so I would wager they are excellent bulbs. Looks like Amazon sells them, so I'll pick up a pair eventually.

100W bulbs are indeed something to avoid after reading this PDF which was linked to on Dan Stern's website.

I'll see if the fogs are aimed properly too. I doubt the reflector is defective in the OEM passenger side lamp; tarnished somewhat after 11 years, perhaps, but both housings look equally clear looking in from the outside.

You ought to check the voltage at the lamp, then, sometimes the connections suffer corrosion which raises the resistance. Some lamps are "two wire" with one lead going to a piece of real metal somewhere on the car, others pick up ground from the lamp body through the mount. Make sure there isn't resistance there.

I bought a pair of Narva Rangepower +50 H3 55W bulbs and am quite happy with their performance in the fog lights. The light is bright white (without any blue tint on the bulb), and the output is significantly better. A single fog lamp with the Narva bulb lit up the area that was previously lit by both fog lamps with their original bulbs; blocking the fog lamp with the old bulb was almost unnoticeable. There is also better side lighting. I might upgrade my headlights to Narva Rangepower +50 bulbs at some point too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back