Wipe New tv commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see this product for black trim on TV? It shows them wiping it on the faded, weathered black trim of different cars and it make the trim look new again. Then they say it laste for years and the car goes through 100 car washes and the trim still looks great.
Anyone try the stuff or know about it?

If you look at the ad critically....you'll see that when show the new and 2 year pictures....both pictures have the same background and taken in the same place.

Maybe they are taken at the same time ?

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
If you look at the ad critically....you'll see that when show the new and 2 year pictures....both pictures have the same background and taken in the same place.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they didn't wait 2 years to shoot that ad.
smile.gif

Just saw the commercial. Of course when it's wet it's gonna look good. The stuff reminds me of the Megs exterior trim spray.
It's almost like a wet clear coat that dries.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Reminds me of those nufinish commercials that showed the "50" car washes.

IMO....NuFinish is not snake oil.

Has worked as advertised... on many of my vehicles for over 20 years.

Last edited:

Thing is the NuFinish will do just that and more.

I'm very interested in wipe new myself. I have an Avalanche that has large areas of black plastic. If this stuff really lasts two years that would be awesome.

The reviews on the internet look kind of suspicious though. They are all worded similar and have nothing but praise for the product.

If anyone tries it, would love to see an unbiased review. Tom

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

+1....when I NuFinish my vehicles....that last at least a year (if not more)....but I generally NuFinish my vehicle in early spring (April).

I can't understand those who wax their cars once a month.....much more work than I need.

Sorry to get off topic.

+1....when I NuFinish my vehicles....that last at least a year (if not more)....but I generally NuFinish my vehicle in early spring (April).

I can't understand those who wax their cars once a month.....much more work than I need.

Sorry to get off topic.

A lot of people actually enjoy cleaning their cars, polishing them and waxing them with quality products regularly. I sure do. Plus, we get the bonus of knowing our cars, to the trained eye, look much better than any nu-finished vehicle on the road. But then again, if a person doesn't really appreciate a properly detailed vehicle, then all that work is just a wast of time eh.

Originally Posted By: gary031

Sorry to get off topic.

A lot of people actually enjoy cleaning their cars, polishing them and waxing them with quality products regularly. I sure do. Plus, we get the bonus of knowing our cars, to the trained eye, look much better than any nu-finished vehicle on the road. But then again, if a person doesn't really appreciate a properly detailed vehicle, then all that work is just a wast of time eh.

There were several freshly detailed cars pictures posted on this forum a few years back. We had to guess what wax/sealent was used on each car as they all looked top notch. Everyone guessed all the high end high dollar products. A lot of folks were shocked when it was revealed that NuFinish was what was used on the paint.

There were several freshly detailed cars pictures posted on this forum a few years back. We had to guess what wax/sealent was used on each car as they all looked top notch. Everyone guessed all the high end high dollar products. A lot of folks were shocked when it was revealed that NuFinish was what was used on the paint.

Yeah, I'd probably of "guessed" a high end product by a bunch of posted pictures also. Nothing like seeing a car in person in direct sunlight to really reveal what's going on. But then again, most non car junkies cannot tell the difference between a low end product and a top notch one, and they don't care either. That's not a bad thing because it saves them a ton of money.

Got me interested too in its performance since not only does it work on trim, but leather...? and interior? as well as it clears up your headlights?

One thing you do have to watch out for is NuFinish is highly abrasive. In the auto detailing community it is known as liquid sandpaper. Use it too often or on more delicate finishes and it will damage them.

I always like to tell people to use my CD test, take a drop of NuFinish and place it between two CD's rub them together, and you'll feel just how large and aggressive those abrasive particles are. It'll leave big gouges in the CD. And I can definitely tell the difference with NuFinish and a fine polish like Meguiars D151. Once you get the car under lights at night, the swirls from NuFinish stand out very obviously. It is useful for removing heavy oxidation and bonded contaminants because of the mineral spirits base and heavy abrasives but other than that I have no real use for it.

I know because I used to use it myself, until I found it wore through my jeeps thin clear coat on the sharp corners where paint was thin and I started to see color coat on my rag. NuFinish definitely removes paint more than is necessary, hence why it seems to work so well on badly oxidized finishes. But it's too aggressive for regular use.

As for wipe new, I think all it is just similar to Turtle Wax Ice Liquid polish which can also leave a somewhat durable shine on trim and bumpers without leaving a haze. I actually like it specifically for trim. Plus you get a whole lot of it for pretty cheap.

So if you're looking for a more durable trim polish definitely check out Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish. I'd bet dollars to donuts it's the same stuff.

Last edited:
Sorry but the above could not be further from the truth. NuFinish was abrasive a few decades ago but has been refined many times over the years. It is a nonabrasive polymer sealent these days. The below Volvo is 10 yeas old and has been waxed with Nufinish aprox 30 times in the past 10 years and the paint is close to mint. The Sierra is 16 years old and nothing but NuFinish has touched the paint. It has been waxed aprox 50 times and the paint is close to factory condition.
100_1966.jpg

100_1969.jpg

100_3011.jpg

100_3015.jpg

The S40 has 12 coats on it at this point:

100_3023.jpg

100_2365.jpg

100_2048.jpg

The Z28 has 24 coats on it at this point:
100_0254.jpg

100_0258-1.jpg

100_02522.jpg

The paint on all of these are not worn down at all. NuFinish being an abrasive product is a myth that just wont die! Just like a blast from a 12 ga. shotgun will throw the bad guy back 20 feet.....LOL.

Even back in the 80's when I first discovered Nu-Finish, I didn't think it was abrassive and it always left a very nice shine without leaving any swirling motion scratches. I don't wax anymore, I just use quick detail type products and even my oldest daily driver(a 2001) shines very well as does the '04 and '06 vehicles in our fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back