Motor Trend previews/Test drives 2013 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Honda says the MacPherson strut front suspension offers lighter weight and improved handling, but I'm not sure I can take that at face value.

Mac struts do offer lighter weight. They take up less space, too.

As for "improved handling," I share your doubts. Nissan played this game when they went from IRS in the '94 Maxima to a beam suspension in '95, saying that the beam worked so much better than the old IRS. At best, all it means is that they did a better job with the new setup. It doesn't exclude the possibility that that IRS (or wishbones) could have been even better.

BMW has used Mac struts for decades, including in cars that consistently won praise for out-handling all of their peers. The current Mustang with its live rear axle out-handles many cars with IRS. Those comparisons don't mean Mac struts and live rear axles are better than wishbones and IRS; it just means BMW and Ford did a better job with what they had.

It also means that BMW and Ford are now better cars than Hondas. (All 80s Ford references aside.)

Quote:
06-07 are my favorite Accord of recent years. My true favorites are still the older ones, they always will be, since I am a child of the 80's/90's. (Most of my favorite stuff is from that era)

I think the 06/07 refresh though, if you get an EX-V6, is a really good looking car, I love the tail lights.

AGREED! I liked the 02-05 coupes as well. (03 was first year of curvy Accord coupe?) Friend had an 04 or 05. Nice. Id buy one of those.

Of course the 1990 EX 5-speed is still my fav.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MaximusD
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
They'll sell very well. A couple of details I would like to see added to these reviews is confirmation of where they are manufactured (assembled).

Assembled in Marysville Ohio. CVT made in Russels Point Ohio. Engine in Anna Ohio.

Good info. Should be in the review. Much more relevant than CO2 emissions.
As Gm's market share continues to decline the Honda,Nissan Hyundai plants ... etc are the American auto industry.

It also means that BMW and Ford are now better cars than Hondas. (All 80s Ford references aside.)

Bmw yes Ford.... I doubt that.........

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Has Honda paid any special attention to their GDI implementation to prevent the carbon buildup?

I would assume that, because Honda is relatively "late to the game" with GDI, they have that stuff sorted out. As mentioned earlier, at least the 4-cylinder GDI engine isn't exactly pushing the envelope in either direction, power or economy, so perhaps one can assume that the GDI implementation is a relatively conservative one and teething issues will be minimal. I don't know; that's just my guess.

I do agree that MacPherson struts have the ability to deliver good handling. Porsche and BMW have both used them before, and continue to use them in some cases. The tuning of those systems is what is most important; as time goes by, we'll see if Honda really has dialed-in some performance or not.

I still don't care for the coupe styling. The styling of the coupe through 2007 was pretty good to me. But beginning with 2008, it's gotten a little awkward. Still, kudos to them (and to Nissan) for selling coupe'd versions of their mainstream sedans.

There were some of these caught "in the wild". I was googling images a week or so ago and found pictures of some 2013 accords at dealers and one that was caught at a grocery store.

Anyway, one of those images was of the front suspension. I can't find it again at the moment, but I recall extensive use of aluminum (guess I recalled incorrectly) and lower control arm mounts to the transmission case?

Ah, here it is:

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1089159&news_item_id=1087630

And heres the one at Kroger:

http://thehondaportal.blogspot.com/search/label/13 Accord

Last edited:
The suspension photo in the first picture is interesting.

I'm not sure the lower arm's pivot is bolted to the transmission case. The transmission, even on a 2013 Accord, will be on the left side of the vehicle. This photo appears to have been taken from the right side of the vehicle. It would also be out of convention for Honda to be using a lower control arm that triangulates to the FRONT rather than to the REAR. Most Honda LCAs have triangulated to a large compliance bushing at the rear of the arm. I also see evidence of what may be the engine's aluminum oil pan in front of the LCA pivot that we see in the photo.

I'm thinking that the large hulk of aluminum to which the LCA pivot is bolted may simply be an aluminum crossmember or similar piece. That's not unprecedented; the 4th generation Chrysler minivans had a huge aluminum front crossmember under the front firewall. One might also guess that the right side stabilizer bar bushing is just out of view of the photo, perhaps mounted to that aluminum crossmember. I bet the left end of the CV shaft we see in the picture mates to a jack shaft that coveys power from the transmission on the left side of the car. The jack shaft's outer bearing housing probably also mounts to this apparent aluminum subframe. I could be 100% wrong of course, but that's what appears to be the case to me.

Those tires are Michelin Primacy MXV4s. I DO like that!

Photo below from "dutchboy" on the TOV forum, linked here for convenience.

2eeyf5v.jpg

I think you may be right, when I first looked at the picture I thought it was taken from the front. Looking a bit closer I think it is taken from the rear looking forward (note deflector and front crossmember mounting point).

One of the articles mentions an "aluminum crossmember". It is hard to tell by the photo, but is it some sort of hybrid construction, it almost looks like stamped steel bonded to the aluminum. I'm most curious what the item labeled "not sure usually the tie rod is here" it looks very stout.

I agree MXV4 = Good (the temple of vtec people seemed to think that was good as well).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Those tires are Michelin Primacy MXV4s. I DO like that!

I hope they're better than Energy MXV4 that were OEM on my Accord. Those were awful.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
...One of the articles mentions an "aluminum crossmember". It is hard to tell by the photo, but is it some sort of hybrid construction, it almost looks like stamped steel bonded to the aluminum...

Guess I should read my own link:

•New MacPherson-strut front suspension improves ride and handling qualities, while also reducing interior noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). The new lighter aluminum and steel front subframe also uses a proprietary Honda friction-stir welding process.

Also, if you continue to scroll down on "the honda portal" link, there is a coupe in a drive way and a dark colored sedan, just keep scrolling...

Last edited:
The shiny link under the "not sure" comment is the tie rod end. The large beefy member behind it is the top of the knuckle, where the strut pinch bolts are.

I like the direction Honda is taking on it. Styling is better (they tweaks they made in 2010 or so to this design..especially those deflectors on the trunk are awful), glad it is smaller, and the interior looks nicer although I would like a three-spoke steering wheel.

I agree with the others, I like previous generation Accords better than the 2012. I still though the 2009 model was alright (particularly the V6 coupe) but they had made it too big and bloated for my taste.

In the end, an Accord will probably be too big for my side of the garage, but I'd at least consider one again based on these specs and pictures.

i was looking at some OLD pics of american cars in the 50s. they are so fantastic. this new stuff CANT come close. you can have them.

Originally Posted By: morris
i was looking at some OLD pics of american cars in the 50s. they are so fantastic. this new stuff CANT come close. you can have them.

They may look great, but they were a LOT of work to keep on the road and running properly.

Although I think that things like basic electronic technology that improved general reliability of ignition systems and the like has now been overtaken by excessive computer control and complex systems that are now causing a regression of modern car reliability.

My feeling was that the best times for ease of repair, low cost of service, durability, and simplicity was from the mid 80s until the late 90s.

For those interested in the car, Motor Trend has apparently done most of a full test drive on the entire line-up. Read more:

Motor Trend article

If you like your Accords fast for the segment, you will not be disappointed. The V-6 hustles to 60 in 5.6 seconds, and even the I-4 with the CVT gets it done in 7.6 seconds. Fuel economy is near the top of the segment as well (27/36 for I-4 and 21/34 for V-6). They author says that the CVT is "the best I've driven."

The author also assures the reader that the lack of a double wishbone front suspension is nothing to fret about. In fact, he says, "on the track, all models showed marked improvement on the skidpad and figure eight, while on the road the Accord turned in nicely, held its line, and wasn't upset by mid-corner bumps."

The hybrid model appears to be a complete re-do by Honda. The article reads, "we've hammered Honda for years about its aging Integrated Motor Assist hybrid system, which couldn't deliver the fuel economy of newer hybrids. This new plug-in hybrid is a world apart." The 2.0L I-4 is apparently mated to two electric motors, one for propulsion and one for regeneration.

The author didn't really report anything negative about the car. There were a few quibbles about the touch screen and infotainment stuff; it seems that few can satisfy all these days in those areas. The article did note a dramatic reduction in road noise.

In all, the review is pretty glowing, and probably correctly predicts a very successful vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back