Where to buy Loaded Calipers from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddys brakes went out on him today, so here is my question to you guys. Where can he get the "Loaded Calipers" frt & rear for a 2003 Dodge Dakota V8 pick-up truck? Thanks for you guys help.

Usually they come semi-loaded.. you load your own brake pads.
Makes it easier if you don't happen to like the particular pad that it comes with.

Its not just a Chrysler thing,caliper sales are very good for all brands.Especially GM pickups and Ford Super Dutys.The only difference with Loaded Calipers is that they come with pads,so you dont have to buy them separately.Only thing is,you have no idea who made them,where they came from or how good they really are.Edge codes on the pads can help with the heat rating (DD,EE,FF etc) but might not tell you how long they will last or of they will squeal.

Just make some loaded calipers yourself the easy way:

-Buy the cheapest pads you can find.
-Buy some semi-loaded calipers.
-Remove any sliding parts that need to be lubed and thoroughly clean and degrease them.
-Bonus: Lube the parts you just cleaned with whatever grease is closest to you. Don't worry about what type of grease it is. Crisco is fine. Do this for only one caliper.
-If new bolts are included, apply copious amounts of some sort of grease to the threads. Try to use at least two different greases.
-Mangle all of the hardware clips as best you can, then straighten them out a bit and put them somewhat near where they belong.
-Put the pads into the calipers with your eyes closed. No peeking.
-Bonus, if you want best quality: remove one bleeder valve, strike the threads with a hammer, then screw it back in and tighten it until it starts to twist a little.
-Put completed units back into their respective boxes.

If you want to make some really good loaded calipers, choose some hole (threaded or unthreaded, it doesn't matter) and drill it out oversize and crooked. If this is a threaded hole, tapping new threads is recommended. Repaint the caliper.

Originally Posted By: chad8
why would you ever need to replace calipers?
Oh yeah, I forgot , its a chrysler....
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: chad8
why would you ever need to replace calipers?
Oh yeah, I forgot , its a chrysler....

Yup, Chrysler. The left front brake hose went bad and overheated the caliper. It's not like a Toyota where the calipers just self-destruct randomly.

The nicest calipers I have ever used at work have been the Centric brand. The second best have been the NAPA black coated calipers,I just don't remember the name they go by. People need to remember that many brands of calipers are rebuilt by Cardone but labeled and sold by many other parts company IE: Wagner, Parts Master, Carquest etc. and I am not a big Cardone standard quality of rebuilds fan so you need to find out where the source is before buying.

Originally Posted By: vssjim
The nicest calipers I have ever used at work have been the Centric brand. The second best have been the NAPA black coated calipers,I just don't remember the name they go by. People need to remember that many brands of calipers are rebuilt by Cardone but labeled and sold by many other parts company IE: Wagner, Parts Master, Carquest etc. and I am not a big Cardone standard quality of rebuilds fan so you need to find out where the source is before buying.

WOW... Thanks for that info, I'll keep that in mind. Any more info you have?

I wouldn't personally buy loaded calipers unless I had a few pads picked out and the calipers just happened to come with one of those pads.

I'd personally choose to buy calipers and pads separately so I could choose the specific pad I wanted.

Also, this would be a good chance to replace the brake hose/hoses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vssjim

NAPA now calls their calipers "Total Eclipse" and yes they are great brake calipers.

I bought a set of loaded front calipers from Advance for the S10 back when it had 90K mi on it. Best set of front pads I've ever had for this truck, almost got 40K out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back