tire with softer ride in 45 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is Hyundai Elantra Tour. O.E. tire is P215/45-17 Kumho KH16. Ride is hard and traction in frozen precipitation is very poor. Any ideas on a tire that will improve the hard ride? I do not need to travel in snowy weather.
Thanks.

Maybe Michelin Primacy MXM4?

But really, there is only so much you can improve with so little sidewall. It's not going to be a whole lot better.

Alternatively, you could look into running a 205/50/17 tire instead to gain a little bit of sidewall. Better yet, switch to 16" rims and 205/55/16 tires.

As for freezing rain traction, I wouldn't expect any miracles there, unless you get studded tires.

I realize 45 series tires are not good riding. What I meant by frozen precipitation was snow and the resulting slush, not ice. Those Michelins are an option, but expensive. Not sure if the 205/50-17 would have an effect on my warranty (car is 2011).

Last edited:
When I bought a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville, I test drove one with 17 inch wheels and one with 15 inch wheels. I could not believe the difference in ride. Needless to say, I got the 15 inch wheels.

Sidewalls do make a difference. Now, my Nissan Murano has 18 inch wheels but uses huge 235/65-18 tires, they have plenty of sidewall. It is really the aspect ratio or sidewall height that determines the firmness of the ride.

Now, if you want a rough (firm) ride, try my Corvette's 275/40-18 runflat tires ! But they do handle amazing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Maybe Michelin Primacy MXM4?

But really, there is only so much you can improve with so little sidewall. It's not going to be a whole lot better.

Alternatively, you could look into running a 205/50/17 tire instead to gain a little bit of sidewall. Better yet, switch to 16" rims and 205/55/16 tires.

As for freezing rain traction, I wouldn't expect any miracles there, unless you get studded tires.

QP - I don't think you really want to "gain sidewall" for the OP's 17" tires ... or you change the overall diameter of the tire...so, while a 205/50 is a little higher aspect ratio...the sidewall height isn't much different...and he doesn't want it to be, or you throw off the speedo, etc...

to the OP - 45 series tires don't ride well in general. The Continental DWS in 235/45R17 on my Volvo are a good compromise, great dry handling, good in rain, fair in snow (as good as you can get with AS)...and an acceptable ride...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
the sidewall height isn't much different...

Which is why I wrote, "to gain a little bit of sidewall."

Neither of these actions (getting different tires in same size or minus zero size) are going to make a notable difference, IMO. Best bet is to get smaller rims.

Last edited:
My friend just got a '13 elantra with the 17'' tires. Hates the ride.

He's going to go to 16's for his snow tires and will just swap out all seasons on those rims going forward. He dislikes the 17's that much.

Originally Posted By: tcmo
Car is Hyundai Elantra Tour. O.E. tire is P215/45-17 Kumho KH16. Ride is hard and traction in frozen precipitation is very poor. Any ideas on a tire that will improve the hard ride? I do not need to travel in snowy weather.
Thanks.

YOu don't have many options in that size, even worse is you're not going to improve the ride with other tires.

"Downgrade" to 205/55r16 wheels & tires, and you'll have more options to improve ride and improve winter weather performance.

Make sure that you are running the correct air pressure. Use a good digital tire gauge and check tire pressure after setting overnight. I feel you will find little difference in tire ride if you remain with a 45 series sidewall. Ed

the kh16 tires are imo fairly bad anyway.

Sell them on craigslist and snag some conti dws= problem solved and better handling.

if you want new rims you could look to swap with someone that has the smaller rim package on their elantra and do a swap to 16's then maybe get new tires.

if you do anything with rims you will have to pay dealer to fix the tpms. probably 50$-80$

Thanks for the replies. Hyundai factory 16" rims are hard to find locally. Conti DWS are an option but I read so many internet stories of bulging sidewalls and poor quality control from Continental.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
you can always get a wheel-tire package from TireRack...

Agreed. Get a 16" package from TR and sell your current 17" set to recoup some money. I'm just not sure what's there to be done regarding the TPMS. I think TR sells TPMS stuff too, so they may be able to help equip your new 16" rims with whatever's needed. You might still have to pay dealer a visit to have it reprogrammed/resynced, as Rand mentioned.

QP - then I must have misunderstood...and we agree, for any significant improvement in ride, go with the smaller rims.

Think "-1" instead of the usual "+1"...

The best thing to do is to do some research into which model of tire available in that size is on the softer side of the spectrum. You don't really specify what criteria is important other than softer riding, and no snow conditions; you'll have to do at least some of the legwork yourself.

Just a cursory search at the Tire Rack shows that there are 86 tires available in that size, that run the gamut from extreme summer tires to studdable winter tires.

I can say that if you're looking for a sporty summer tire, the Conti DW/S and Hankook V12s have been noted/criticized for having softer, better riding sidewalls.

The expense of switching to another wheel/tire package may or may not be worth it, but it can have a noticeable effect. The higher unsprung weight of a larger wheel, in addition to a lower profile tire often has an adverse effect on ride quality and impact harshness.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Any 195/65/15.

The difference in handling between the 215/45-17 and the 195/65-15 is day and night. I borrowed a set of 17" wheels on my Prius and it completely transformed the straightline stability of the car. Yes, the ride was a bit harsher, but if anyone is currently happy with the way their car drives on the 17s (minus the ride), they will be sorely disappointed with a 195/65-15 setup.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread.

And which size do you suggest for his car?

Available sizes from tire rack:

195/70R14 90T
205/70R15 95T
215/65R15 95T
225/60R16 97T
225/55R18 97H
225/60R18 99H
235/60R18 102T

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back