Mobil One EP 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
img039-1.jpg

OK, we have a 7 quart sump via an Amsoil Bypass filter set-up; with a 5 month OCI.

Last edited:
Pretty good, I see this is the (SM) M1 EP, did you re-fill with the SN version? Either way I think this is a good report, would not go any farther than this until you see how the SN version is holding up. Thanks for posting this!

Last edited:
For 7 quart sump, and 'only' 5 months/11k, I'd say this is a pretty darn poor showing for EP.

It's supposed to be a 15k oil, and it's spent here, with a large sump and bypass, at 11k.

Boo EP!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For 7 quart sump, and 'only' 5 months/11k, I'd say this is a pretty darn poor showing for EP.

Look good to me, not stellar (like some M1 0W40 reports), but still ok. The 7 quart sump does not imply that oil will be beaten up less than in cars with a smaller sump. A 2.0 Mitsubishi engine has a 4.3 quart sump, but obviously the lubrication needs of a 2.0 I4 engine are far lower than those of a V8 with 4.6L displacement. The TBN still doesn't look bad and should stay above 1 for a while as its depletion is likely non-linear. There is also the issue of the duty cycle. 15,000 miles is "best case" scenario for an engine not seeing severe duty usage.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

It's supposed to be a 15k oil, and it's spent here, with a large sump and bypass, at 11k.

Boo EP!
It's the Motor;Not the Oil.

Some more notes:

It's under a larger truck load, you could say. It weighs in at 4800#'s on a scale. But the motor is geared in such a way the the RPM is quite low compared to most. 1550 @ cruise.

The Triton is in very good condition with the little oil consumption of 1/2 quart make-up oil.

I picked up a solid 1 to 2 MPG. Strictly HWY for the latter.

Nearly 22 mpg.

I never saw more than 19.5.

Not bad, but this oil is clearly at its limit at the miles run.
This oil is not capable of 15K in this engine, even under near ideal highway driving conditions.
I'd try Plat and Ultra and see whether you get better results, especially TBN retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back