Purolator classic filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically the same filter. Purolator makes the Motorcraft filters for Ford. Only difference is that the Motorcraft specified for your vehicle may have a base end bypass valve. But not all Motorcraft filters have base end bypass valves ... I have seen a few that have the dome end setup. To me, the location of the bypass valve doesn't really matter much ... so I'd use a Purolator Classic in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Basically the same filter. Purolator makes the Motorcraft filters for Ford. Only difference is that the Motorcraft specified for your vehicle may have a base end bypass valve. But not all Motorcraft filters have base end bypass valves ... I have seen a few that have the dome end setup. To me, the location of the bypass valve doesn't really matter much ... so I'd use a Purolator Classic in a heartbeat.

My 4.2 V6 uses the FL400S.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Purolator L20195

to quote my post on another thread:

Purolators

Longers:
L20195
PL20195
PSL20195

Shorters:
L10241
PL10241
PSL10241

Bosch
3422 Longer
3330 Shorter

K&N
HP-2009 Longer
HP-1002 Shorter

FRAM
PH3600 Longer
PH3614 Shorter

All come to mind, they all fit my truck

Longer is the FL-400S
Shorter is the FL-910

Ford did it due to clearance issues and apparently issues involving scraping on ground

All will fit your truck, all fit my truck so I know

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

Purolator L20195

Thanx Gumby,I knew the part number.I was just wanting to know if the Purolator Classic is just as good to use in place of the Motorcraft.

All I use really is Purolators, I used to use Supertech at one point in time, then started using Purolators.

Purolator/Bosch are my go to filters, then K&N/M1/Motorcraft is second depending on how much money I have

Purolators and Motorcrafts are almost Identical, never had an issue with either really.

I currently have stocked up with the 2/10$ deal at AAP for pure1's plus online coupons.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
All I use really is Purolators, I used to use Supertech at one point in time, then started using Purolators.

Purolator/Bosch are my go to filters, then K&N/M1/Motorcraft is second depending on how much money I have

Purolators and Motorcrafts are almost Identical, never had an issue with either really.

I currently have stocked up with the 2/10$ deal at AAP for pure1's plus online coupons.

I use the MC filter but the WM oil deal includes a PC filter.I think the only difference is the MC uses a silicon ADBV and the PC is rubber.I do know Purolator makes MC so it should be good for a 5K OCI.

The Motorcraft gets you a silicone ADBV and a thread end bypass for a whopping 70 cents more over the Classic. That's not a special at Walmart, they advertise their regular prices to show how competitive they are, the Motorcraft will only cost you 70 cents more...really I promise.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Classic but for that difference the Motorcraft seems like the "best buy", especially for a guy whose handle is "Blue Oval".
smile.gif

I'd pick the MC over the Classic for the silicon ADBV and possibly a slightly higher efficiency (if my info is correct, the Classic is about 86% @ 20Um where the MC is 94% @ 20 um).

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The Motorcraft gets you a silicone ADBV and a thread end bypass for a whopping 70 cents more over the Classic. That's not a special at Walmart, they advertise their regular prices to show how competitive they are, the Motorcraft will only cost you 70 cents more...really I promise.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Classic but for that difference the Motorcraft seems like the "best buy", especially for a guy whose handle is "Blue Oval".
smile.gif

I'm all for that but will WM let the consumer upgrade to MC for the .70 or will they make you pay the 3.97 the MC filter cost'?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

smile.gif

I'm all for that but will WM let the consumer upgrade to MC for the .70 or will they make you pay the 3.97 the MC filter cost'?

Hes saying that the every day price is added together, not like AAP or AZ where its a register coupon,
15.47 for PYB
3.27 for PURO classic
= $18.74 everyday low price

Last edited:
I concur that, for well less than a dollar, the MC filter is a "better" buy.

But ...

I have not seen any reasonable evidence that shows filter selection is all that important in normal OCI duration. The Classic is "good enough" to provide the needed level of protection. The MC filter is probably more efficient, but if one OCIs before the loading approaches any condemnation limit of the oil or filter, the point is basically moot.

What is perhaps more tangile is the MC silicon ADBV; some expectation that it might assure some "better" starts in the cold, or with longer OCIs, over nitrile in the Classic.

I would challenge anyone to show me a series of UOAs that can statistically prove the difference between these two fitler choices. The variance of wear data (std dev) is so large in most samples that filter selection is completely lost in the noise. If I showed you all two series of UOAs, where the only variable was the filter, you'd NEVER be able to pick out which filter was which; just cannot be done in "normal" use with "normal" filters. (I am excluding greatly extended OCIs.)

Pick the MC because you may need the ADBV. Pick either for engine longevity; they will both make the engine last longer than you'll ever care to own it.

As others have noted, Walmart is not advertising a "combo deal" where you have to buy both. They're just simply demonstrating that if you pair a good oil (Pennzoil in this case) with a good filter (Purolator in this case), you can buy both for $18.74...but only because the regular price of those two happens to be $18.74. The $18.74 is not a special price for this combo, or for either product really...it's simply the total cost of both, using their "everyday low prices".

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I'd pick the MC over the Classic for the silicon ADBV and possibly a slightly higher efficiency (if my info is correct, the Classic is about 86% @ 20Um where the MC is 94% @ 20 um).

The Classic is better than that. It's 97.5% @ 20 microns.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/purolatoroilfilters.aspx

Interesting, thanks for the correction. I have a test printout in my files that says different but it may be older than I think it is and it's a different part number (PF52). I basically trust what's published today, so I will put a big "?" on my sheet for now and not quote it again. Another source shows Puro in general at 90-99% @ 20um depending on part number.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I mentioned this before. Every other time I use a White can filter, I get that dreaded death rattle.

What are you talking about,"death rattle?"
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
That sound the motor makes when it`s oil starved, usually caused by bad anti drain back valves.

Ok,I know that sound.I had a local tire store do an oil change for me back in Feb. or March and they used a NAPA ProSelect oil filter.Upon start up it would clatter until the oil found the sweet spots.I immediatly had a friend put a Motorcraft filter on,(due to me being disabled!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back