Please rate the Krav Maga gun disarm techniques?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Recently became interested in Krav Maga self-defense technique. There are two videos that talk about gun defense, another for knife. Here are the two for gun defense, I feel the second is superior to the first as there is less fighting with an attacker (which is obviously good, less to go wrong:)

Or course, there are others about hand-to-hand.

In your opinion, how effective would these techniques be if they should ever need to be used?

I think several things come to mind when watching these.
1) The mouth is probably the best weapon in alot of altercations and incidents. You can talk your way out of aggressive behavior many times. Be nice until you can't be nice.
2) I've never been one to punch someone. My punch might knock someone down, but I'll probably break my hand. I'm a big guy, but size doesn't matter with a punch. An elbow, knee, or a solid head butt would work better in confined spaces. A metal bar stool, trashcan lid, tree limb, or pipe would work better if available.
3) Disarming people might work for professionals. I doubt it would work for me. I'd probably try deception prior to aggressive action.

Avoiding the entire situation in the first place would be the top priority! Sometimes that's not an option.

I've realized fighting fair isn't a reality. You learn this as you become older. I'd want to disable the person as quickly as possible to avoid hurting myself, having a heart attack or passing out, etc. so I can go to work the next day to provide for my family.

+1 to what Big Mike says. Trying these if you are not an expert is like taking a knife to a gunfight...you'll lose, maybe permanently.

+2

If it's money they want, just give it to them. (Been there, got out alive. Even had an unforseen benefit.)

But if it's you life they want, or a loved one's, all bets are off.

And remember, outside a boxing ring, the only fair fight is the one you win.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
If it's money they want, just give it to them. (Been there, got out alive. Even had an unforseen benefit.)

But if it's you life they want, or a loved one's, all bets are off.

And remember, outside a boxing ring, the only fair fight is the one you win.

Agreed.

If you really think you can move your entire body and accurately secure a small object with your hand in less time than it takes for the other person to squeeze a trigger, best of luck to you. Otherwise, never ever try a gun disarm of any kind unless you have nothing to lose if you fail.

Knife disarms tend to have much lower risk and much greater chances of success, although they are still not advisable unless you have nothing to lose.

Video one shows a basic lack of understanding about firearms. The techniques seem good in that they keep the firearm redirected and off of a potential kill zone. However...

Video one: When the attacker goes down to the ground the defender still controls the muzzle. It is stated that since this is a "slide gun" it probably won't fire. Wrong! While the impulse that cycles the slide is surprisingly light and is easy to disrupt by impeding the movement of the slide, the round in the chamber will still discharge. All you're doing by disrupting the cycling of the slide is preventing the NEXT round from chambering. Again, not the focus of the exercise, but shows a basic lack of understanding of how the firearm works.

If they are betting their life on their understanding of how a firearm works and implying erroneous theories to their clients, it doesn't leave me very trusting of their other instructions.

Originally Posted By: dkindig

Video one: When the attacker goes down to the ground the defender still controls the muzzle. It is stated that since this is a "slide gun" it probably won't fire. Wrong! While the impulse that cycles the slide is surprisingly light and is easy to disrupt by impeding the movement of the slide, the round in the chamber will still discharge. All you're doing by disrupting the cycling of the slide is preventing the NEXT round from chambering. Again, not the focus of the exercise, but shows a basic lack of understanding of how the firearm works.

I think what the instructor is trying to say with the "slide gun" comment is that if the slide is retracted almost any at all, it will not fire. All automatic pistols or "slide guns" if you want to call them that have a design that prevents the gun from firing if the slide is not in the all the way forward, locked position. If the pistol did fire with the slide retracted, the chamber would not be sealed and the pressure of the round firing would cause a blow out or "kaboom" as it is called on the internet. A blow out usually completely destroys the gun and injuries the firers hand badly. Google "semi-auto pistol out of battery firing" if you want to know more about this.
Keeping all this in mind, it still isn't a safe bet to think that the gun will not fire because you are retracting the slide while grabbing it. Your hand could slip off (or anything go wrong for that matter) at the last second as the trigger is pulled and the gun could still fire. Like others have said, I still wouldn't try this unless you are convinced you have nothing else to lose and your attacker is going to shoot you anyways.

p.s. I am taking Krav Maga classes right now and they are definitely worth it! It is a full force, reality based, politically in-correct martial art that actually works in the real world. There is another reality based fighting system that works called "Progressive Fighting Systems" and the proprietor's name is Paul Vunak. It is another reality based, aggressive system that really works but it is hard to find an instructor/school. The original instructor, Paul Vunak is still available (if you are in California) but he is getting old and becoming quite controversial because of his personal life.

The bad part of "Krav Maga" is that it is the current rave and every so called Martial Arts school is suddenly an expert in "Krav Maga". If you are attending a quality school that is focused on proper training, and not simply running a belt factory only concerned about $$$$, then these self-defense techniques can work.

Last edited:
These assume that the bad guy is dumb enough to stand directly in front of you at the ideal range for you to grab the gun.

Reminds me of this:

Originally Posted By: JasonC
The bad part of "Krav Maga" is that it is the current rave and every so called Martial Arts school is suddenly an expert in "Krav Maga". If you are attending a quality school that is focused on proper training, and not simply running a belt factory only concerned about $$$$, then these self-defense techniques can work.

I couldn't agree more. Luckily my Krav Maga instructor actually studied krav for 10 years before teaching it and got his instructor certification from the Krav HQ in Israel. If you are serious about Krav, try to study the "Israeli Gidon" Krav system. See www.israelikrav.com for more on that. At very least make sure your school is on the approved list at www.kravmaga.com/locations/licensees-affiliates/licenseesaffiliates-worldwide-all-locations-list/

I would be willing to bet no Krav Magna instructor can disarm me. Im shooting before anyone gets within 10 feet of me. That's the whole point of a firearm, to avoid physical confrontation. If I get within arms length of someone, Im taking them down physically. Unless they are over 220# and 6'1" height, then I'll run. It's all about size, speed and strength, not technique.

Having taught Jiu-Jitsu, and self defense for over 30 years now, I can honestly say no one is taking a stick, knife, or gun away from me. I don't think I'd want to mess with someone who is trained in using a weapon either. The best self defense is avoidance. Many of these systems go under the assumption you are dealing with an attacker that has no training. That mindset can cost someone their life, or get them a very good beating.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Having taught Jiu-Jitsu, and self defense for over 30 years now, I can honestly say no one is taking a stick, knife, or gun away from me. I don't think I'd want to mess with someone who is trained in using a weapon either. The best self defense is avoidance. Many of these systems go under the assumption you are dealing with an attacker that has no training. That mindset can cost someone their life, or get them a very good beating.

+1 on the best self-defense is avoidance.

Im too old to get my [censored] kicked anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back