Best Torque Sticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am well aware of the potential issues with torque sticks or torque limiting extensions, but I still want a set. Yes, I am lazy, but I will still double-check with a torque wrench after using these. For what it's worth, I will be using them with my IR W7150, so hopefully the gun will put out enough power to allow the the torque sticks to work properly.

Since most cars I work on require 80 ft-lbs and use either a 19mm or 21mm socket, I had originally planned to buy a Snap-On torque limiting extension. However, in my research, Accutorq said that a one-piece construction is vital to preventing significant variances in accuracy that stems from the use of adapters or certain sockets. Is this true?

Lastly, what brand do you folks recommend? I understand that these are consumable items that will require replacement periodically, so I do not want to spend Rolls-Royce money on them if possible. I am thinking about getting the Accutorq Blue and Light-Brown sticks for about $53 total from tooltopia. My understanding is that Accutorq was the pioneer of this technology, and has received the most OEM endorsements of all brands.

Thanks.

When I was at America's Tire Store last time, they used a torque stick to
get the wheels close and then did a final tighten with a torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

They always use the stick that matches the vehicle's torque spec, from what I have seen. When they do their safety-check with a PI torque wrench, the torque wrench will simply click right away...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

They always use the stick that matches the vehicle's torque spec, from what I have seen. When they do their safety-check with a PI torque wrench, the torque wrench will simply click right away...

Meaning its been overtightened?

I bought a set from Harbor Freight. They seem to work consistently, at least the 70ft-lb stick does. I use it to torque to about 10lbs less than I want, then use my Snap-On torque wrench to complete the job. I do this a lot on my track car and it always seems to be consistent.

robert

Ive been in love with my MAC tools 9-piece set since i bought it! Of course the 50% student discount made quite a difference..

i see you just picked up one [censored] of a powerful impact wrench. The instructions that came with my set state that the impact gun needs to be limited to something like 250ft/lbs, for the sticks to be completely accurate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Ive been in love with my MAC tools 9-piece set since i bought it! Of course the 50% student discount made quite a difference..

i see you just picked up one [censored] of a powerful impact wrench. The instructions that came with my set state that the impact gun needs to be limited to something like 250ft/lbs, for the sticks to be completely accurate.

How does one do that? My "professional" one from HF has settings 1 to 5 and my 300 lb cordless one from Dewalt has no settings.

I got mine from torque stick.
I got a 75 ft-lb do it always under torque the bolts and then I finish it off with a real wrench.

I run the nuts dpwn with a 3/8 impact then final tightened with a tq wrench. this way they are not too tight. imo the snapy and mac ones should be more accurate than the other brands

My Milwaukee M12 3/8" cordless impact might be a good fit for initial tightening lug nuts prior to final torque. It's rated at only 83 lb-ft but I'm thinking it would take some hammering to develop that torque.

Whenever I rotate tires, I'll torque the nuts to spec and then follow-up with a re-torque after > 10 miles and the nuts always seem to tighten just a bit more. Costco recently rotated tires on my van. I don't know whether they use torque sticks, but when I followed-up with my torque wrench, it just clicked without any additional tightening.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
If you are going to double check with a torque wrench, why bother with the torque stick?

Really??? The torque stick gets it close but you should always check with a wrench, IMHO.

I using the stick eliminates one walk around the car and lets me use the impact to seat the lugs. Before the stick, my process was: spin the lugs snug (walk 1), torque to 50ft-lbs (walk 2), then final torque to 75ft-lbs (walk 3). Now my process is: impact with torque stick (walk 1), final torque (walk 2); walk 1 also takes a lot less time with the impact.

robert

If you are going to double check with a torque wrench, why bother with the torque stick?

Exactly. What I do is spin the nuts on with a nut driver and then final tighten with a
1/2'' drive long handle ratchet. But I'd use a torque wrench if I had one in that range.

Originally Posted By: robertcope

Really??? The torque stick gets it close but you should always check with a wrench, IMHO.

I using the stick eliminates one walk around the car and lets me use the impact to seat the lugs. Before the stick, my process was: spin the lugs snug (walk 1), torque to 50ft-lbs (walk 2), then final torque to 75ft-lbs (walk 3). Now my process is: impact with torque stick (walk 1), final torque (walk 2); walk 1 also takes a lot less time with the impact.

robert

You're imposing extra work on yourself for no good reason.

A torque stick by itself is more than sufficient. If others don't wish to believe that, then fine. When done within the confines of the manufacturer's recommendations, you will get satisfactory results. To go through the extra work is completely redundant.

For all those of you who insist on double checking a stick's work, who's to say your T/W is accurate enough to do the work? Does it come with a certificate of calibration? When was the last time it was calibrated if more than a year or two old?

FWIW, I use Accutorque sticks virtually every day and they work fine. Not once has a customer's wheel fallen off, not once has a fastener failed and every lug nut (for repeat customers) comes right back off...

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: robertcope

robert

A torque stick by itself is more than sufficient. If others don't wish to believe that, then fine. When done within the confines of the manufacturer's recommendations, you will get satisfactory results. To go through the extra work is completely redundant.

For all those of you who insist on double checking a stick's work, who's to say your T/W is accurate enough to do the work? Does it come with a certificate of calibration? When was the last time it was calibrated if more than a year or two old?

FWIW, I use Accutorque sticks virtually every day and they work fine. Not once has a customer's wheel fallen off, not once has a fastener failed and every lug nut (for repeat customers) comes right back off...

All but one of my torque wrenches do wear a a tag certifying their calibration and are calibrated every two years. None have ever been more than 1.5% off at the extremes of their range.

Once a year I compare the breakaway torque (higher than tightening torque) of a lug tightened with a stick to the breakaway torque of a lug tightened with a torque wrench.

The sticks still work after decades of occasional use. I don't run them counter-clockwise.

Gray Pneumatic offers 1/2" drive torque limiting extensions as well as standard torque sticks with the integrated sockets.

Just ordered the Accutorq 19mm 80 ft-lbs stick (blue) and 21mm 80 ft-lbs stick (light-brown). These are approved and endorsed by Ford and Hyundai.

Tooltopia had the best price at about $26/stick shipped.

I guess I should get ready to blast away with impact...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Oh, I have a reason. I like to be thorough and I don't like mistakes that could hurt or kill me or other people on the track, or could cause me to miss track time. I haven't had a mechanical issue that has prevented running my car in years.

robert

Alright guys, just received the torque sticks from tooltopia. Fast and cheap shipping from these guys, highly recommended. Ordered late labor day, and it shipped out Tues, and I received it today.

61257BC4-8601-4947-B015-689BD33AA7D7-7237-000004FC7B8FF094.jpg

I will give them a try this weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back