“Scorched earth” test

Friends,

Here is the latest update on results of 400°C/1h test. The info about this test was first posted in 400°C Oil Test? topic, but for some reasons discussion did not get a development. Fortunately today a bigger number of results are available and they are really mind blowing. I would even say that results pretend to be of creed changing magnitude. So, I suggest you avoid discussion whether or not the condition of test is relevant to a real life and focus entirely on results themselves. Please, give your thoughts what allows some oils, often quite cheap, to withstand such heat and why other, many of which indoctrinated or preposessed (by ourselves) as super-duper, fail terribly.

Thank you in advance.

Primus

Last edited:
Thanks.

So, has anyone in that Russian thread ventured any hypotheses as to what is happening here, ie. what causes some oils to leave a lot of deposits?

I'd hazard a guess. The less the molecule is tinkered w/ by man, the greater the high temp resistance. Most conventional oil comes from deep in the earth at high temps having been made for eons under massive pressure. Less fragile additives as well? Synthetics are made in minutes/hours and are specifically built for max temps of 400 F not 400 C. But i'm just guessing...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

So, has anyone in that Russian thread ventured any hypotheses as to what is happening here, ie. what causes some oils to leave a lot of deposits?

Not really, it seems nearly all stay still shocked or wait for test originator's and page owner's theory.

Very interesting. As you said, I really don't know how "real world" this testing is (or would prove) but the MOTUL oils did terribly for what they cost. The good 'ol M1 0w40, Edge FST, Valvoline Synpower and COP oils did very well.

Till now the only oils which passed this test without a single issue are:

Html:

BMW ORIGINAL SUPER POWER OIL SAE 5W40 ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW Longlife-98 (no claims it's 100% Synthetic)

TATNEFT LUX-3 SAE 10W40 API SJ/CF-4 (100% Synthetic Oil - PAO)

TOTAL QUARTZ 7000 SAE 10W40 ACEA A3/B3 API SL/SF, VW 501.01/505.00, MB 229.1

(Semi-Synthetic - it could be mainly petroleum-derived

severely refined mineral-base product or a blend)

VOLGA OIL M8B SAE 20 API SD/CB (Mineral Oil - most likely Gr.I)

These oils are formulated with different base stocks, but they have one common particularity - really dated credentials.

Hmmm....
If Castrol Gold Edge 10w30 gets similar results to the other Castrol Gold Edge viscosities, I know I got a great oil for my car.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Very interesting. As you said, I really don't know how "real world" this testing is (or would prove) but the MOTUL oils did terribly for what they cost. The good 'ol M1 0w40, Edge FST, Valvoline Synpower and COP oils did very well.

M1AFE did very well as well.

I can't read Russian. What's this test mean and do?

Last edited:
Each oil/picture is followed by short comments:

- Deposition
- Thickening
- Polymerization

Last edited:
I don't really think that this proves anything conclusive. There are other criteria such as pour point, acid control, and metal wear that point to an oil's overall quality.

It only illustrates one characteristic of the oils tested. I wouldn't base my oil selection on this alone.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It only illustrates one characteristic of the oils tested. I wouldn't base my oil selection on this alone.

Oil selection criteria aside, it'd still be nice to know why some of these oils handle such temperature extremes better than others.

I would be curious to hear some of the oil companies' responses. I'm sure they'll have a CYA type answer to say it isn't important, not representative, not done right, etc.

What has happened with BITOG ? We have met with a very interesting though complicated issue, but till now only LineArrayNut had a courage to express his thoughts. Where are our gurus, where are all BITOG double-domes ? Or did this subject become a tabu ? I would not like to believe so. Wake up, BITOG community ! Let's try to find an answer. Most of us are searching an ideal, but knowing an answer we will be much closer to the target. Fortunately today we have even more results of 400°C/1h test.

All of the oils were heavily heat damaged. The big difference seems to be related to the formulation's ability to hold the coked products in suspension or solution. Without additional information, it is difficult to know if any of these are more heat tolerant than others. It does seem that there is a wide range of their abilities to keep the degradation products from sticking to the glass.

It's interesting, but I don't think it's really that representative... if your oil is at 400C, your car is probably on fire.

IMO a more useful test would be for an extended time at maybe 120C.

Last edited:
Back