2000 Toyota Rav4 Engine Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm in need of some help! My girlfriend's 2000 Toyota Rav4 5 Speed Manual has started to make this noise just this week. Her timing belt was replaced by the dealership after it broke and left her stranded over 12K miles ago. From listening to it after she had it replaced I suspected it was too tight but I don't know too much about timing belts and figured it was ok. Now this week this noise started to come about and it sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine (if your looking at it from under the hood) which is where I believe the timing belt is located. It's hard to judge exactly where the sound is coming from but that's my best guess. Car has around 120K miles on it and oil changes have been religiously done. Well here is the video and thanks in advance for any of your help:

Rav4 Engine Noise

Wow, 120,000 Miles is still brand new for a Toyota engine.

As stated, verify engine oil... Also check coolant maybe it overheated.

Maybe the timing belt is off by a tooth??? Engine sounds like poop!

Wish I lived near you, I'd baby that little Rav silly lol.

Wow that sounds serious and expensive too.

This is an interference engine correct. if so it may have partially damaged the valves but not enough to cause audible damage at that start, now accelerated wear has come about, along with the noisy results.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like it's time to bring that Rav back to the dealership and let them show you how they stand behind work.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
It sounds to me like it's time to bring that Rav back to the dealership and let them show you how they stand behind work.

+1 But don't hope for much because she let the belt break in the first place. Any resulting damage is still on her.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Sounds like it ran out of oil.

I checked the oil and the level was right on.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

This is an interference engine correct. if so it may have partially damaged the valves but not enough to cause audible damage at that start, now accelerated wear has come about, along with the noisy results.

Engine is non interference thankfully.

Originally Posted By: Doog

+1 But don't hope for much because she let the belt break in the first place. Any resulting damage is still on her.

She received this car from her grandparents at around 90K miles and the timing belt was said to have been done by her grandparents. We really had no reason to doubt them because of the long history of maintenance done to the car. They literally had stacks of dealer receipts and invoices. Someone on another forum suggested it was the alternator bearing which is where we thought the noise was coming from originally.

Agreed.

Sounds like it could be a water pump with a fragged bearing. Take it back to the servicing dealer ASAP.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

It doesn't work like that... Valves are bent or they're not. They don't make noise but MAYBE (big maybe) once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back