How much alcohol can I safely put in my tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to go in for an emissions test before the month is over. Considering the fact that I'm getting 11MPG for some unexplained reason, I doubt I will pass. I've got some 99% isopropyl alcohol, how much of it can I safely put in my tank? You know, to clean out all of the water that might be in there before the test.
grin.gif
wink.gif

check your manual, but 10% by volume is run daily in the midwest. Maybe 20% would be a good "overdo"?

Would denatured alcohol (ethanol) be better to use than isopropyl maybe?

i wouldnt use meth.

a friend of mine just passed emissions with FLYING colours in his saab. he used a gallon of 99% with 1/4 tank of gas, about 4 gallons of gas.

he said the emissions tester was really impressed with the results.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Then again I can get some methanol too.
grin.gif
Which would be best?

Methonal has a history of damaging fuel systems. Even if it didn't do any short term damage it might cut a bunch of crud loose. It's also very toxic.

Ethanol is benerally OK at 10%, you could probably double that for a one shot event, but that's a guess. I don't know about isopropyl

I think I've decided on a quart of isopropyl in 10 gallons of gas. Any objections?
smile.gif

Don't think it is enough. Around the Midwest there is a gallon of ethanol in every 10 gallons of gas (still don't know why the sell Heet?). I would go two gallons of denatured ethanol to 10 gallons of gas. The exhaust smells good too.
smile.gif

It is amazing how much Heet still sells in the wintertime around here. Guess noone remembers we already run 10% ethanol year around by state law... Guess theres a sucker born every minute...

Try Toulene, it is a good cleaner plus it will raise your octane somewhat. for a 20 gallon tank, use 2-3 gallons, it will boost the octane about 3-4 points and help clean better than the other crap that you spend more $$$$ for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back