Polyether Amine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This compound makes up about 30-40% of Gumout Regane Fuel System Cleaner. If I remember correctly this is the same compound that is in Chevron's Techron. Looking at Techron's MSDS, it doesn't list Polyether Amine.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm curious if this is a good cleaner or just more snake oil.

MSDS, Gumout Regane

Polyether amine is a very basic description ( for various reasons) of a very light but powerful solvent. Since the CAS isn't given, your OOL.

The way different chemicals are described, exact names vs family name and things like that often cause confusion.

According to Chevron, Techron is polyether amine

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/gas_qanda/tech_gas.shtml

Exactly what is Techron® anyway?

Techron® is Chevron's latest representative of a family of compounds, called polyether amines, that are highly effective at fighting deposits in an engines intake system and at avoiding contribution to combustion chamber deposits. Sixteen years ago, after discovering that these compounds were effective deposit control additives, Chevron patented them and has been reformulating and improving them ever since. There are many Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) technical papers, peer reviewed by the industry, that tout the benefits of polyether amine deposit control additives versus other types of additives.

Chevron Pro guard, and others, list 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene as the active ingredient. Is this similar to Techron (Polyether amine)?
Since Regane contains 30-40% Polyether amine can I assume it's a better product than the Chevron OTC additives?
Will using Regane cause any significant oil contamination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back