Hyundai KIA oil filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this on the internets this morning. The work is NOT my own. Big thanks to Smoke1991 on the Hyundai forums for dissecting a Hyundai filter.

Hyundai Kia OEM oil filter teardown

This makes me want to sell off my stash of filters and go exclusively OEM in the Optima.

Judging from the pictures the Purolator would be fine for a 5K OCI but I like the OEM filter better for extended OCI's with synthetic oil.
I'd like to see the Pureone next to the OEEM>

You have to be careful with the Purolator L14459 and KIA's. While the L14459 is what Purolator specs for a KIA, it is also the same filter they spec for many Hondas. The issue is that other filter makers like WIX, BALDWIN and even FRAM spec a separate filter part number between a KIA and Honda where Purolator does not.

The Purolator L14459 bypass settings spec is in the 12-15 range where the other makers of the KIA specific filter will be in the 18-20 range.

Purolators are great filters but I think they have not really done their homework when it comes to KIA applications and would be leery using one.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
You have to be careful with the Purolator L14459 and KIA's. While the L14459 is what Purolator specs for a KIA, it is also the same filter they spec for many Hondas. The issue is that other filter makers like WIX, BALDWIN and even FRAM spec a separate filter part number between a KIA and Honda where Purolator does not.

The Purolator L14459 bypass settings spec is in the 12-15 range where the other makers of the KIA specific filter will be in the 18-20 range.

Purolators are great filters but I think they have not really done their homework when it comes to KIA applications and would be leery using one.

I got a lot of startup noise the time I used a Pure1. I have not used it again since and things are back to normal with the OEM filter, which is the same one used on the 2.4 engine on all Hyundai/Kia applications that I know of. Same filter was also used on the 2.0 Beta in my 06 Spectra.

Your mention of Honda brings up an interesting question, well for me anyway. Does anyone not think that the Hyundai/Kia OEM filter would probably work pretty good on a Honda too? The fact that the Honda filter is now made by Honeywell and looks like the OCOD on the inside, would get me looking for something else if I owned a Honda.

I have used various good quality aftermarket oil filters (including both Purolators) on our 2009 Sonata 2.4 with no issues - no startup noises, no malfunctions.

The puro 14459 size is for most older (pre 2000)Hondas and the 14610 is spec'd for newer applications, hence the separation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: trx250x92

The puro 14459 size is for most older (pre 2000)Hondas and the 14610 is spec'd for newer applications, hence the separation.

How is the 14610 applicable to my original statement?

I get some startup noise on my XG350 if I use most brands of aftermarket oil filters mainly during the winter months. I usually use O.E.M., but I have found the Mahle OC330 from rockauto works as well as the hyundai ones at eliminating cold start lifter tick. And they are very reasonably priced and made in Austria.

Not a fan of the linked comparison, apples to oranges imo. Why not compare the OEM to the P1? Something similar to this has been posted before, in fact the link may be a repost from a previous posting on the Supercars forum or something similar to that. The Puro filter, the PP hasn't been made for several years now, it's now the Classic which can be had for ~$3.27 every day at Wally, I'm not thinking a 'single' H/K oem can be had for that, walking into the dealer.

Now comparing it to a P1 which can be obtained on sale or Kmart for about the same as the oem would be more appropriate. P1 also has a silicone ADBV similar to the H/K oem. The PL14459 also has a rated efficiency of %99.9@20um, compared to an unknown (afaik) efficiency for the H/K oem.

All that said, the H/K oem looks to be a well made filter. I just don't think the linked comaprison to the old Puro PP is an apt one.

The same original poster also did a teardown of a P1, Bosch Premium, and a Bosch D+. Although they are not side-by-side, it would be easy enough to open two tabs so you can switch back and forth easily to compare the two.

While they are loading, you'll have time to make dinner, mow the lawn and wash the car.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-201...ne-filters.html

Quote:
For the most part you guys are just comparing cosmetics. What's the efficiency of the various filters?

Excellent point. Unfortunately, there's generally very little if any information on the OEM's efficiency. That's why the relatively recent Amsoil test of some OEM's is a pleasant surprise and enlightening, at least to me. eg., efficiency of the Honda A-02 and Toyota oem's as well as the FL820S at the other end.

And, it's also one of the points I was making in my previous post here that we know the P1's rated efficiency, afaik there's no such information on the OEM H/K filter.

Without any efficency info, really the most that can be said about the H/K filter is, it does look well made.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Excellent point. Unfortunately, there's generally very little if any information on the OEM's efficiency. That's why the relatively recent Amsoil test of some OEM's is a pleasant surprise and enlightening, at least to me. eg., efficiency of the Honda A-02 and Toyota oem's as well as the FL820S at the other end.

And, it's also one of the points I was making in my previous post here that we know the P1's rated efficiency, afaik there's no such information on the OEM H/K filter.

Without any efficency info, really the most that can be said about the H/K filter is, it does look well made.

Me too. Even the "lowly" Fram Tough Guard (OCOD) is 94 percent @ 20 um using a blended media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back