Good Trap Shooting Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need recomendations for a Shotgun, this will be my first one. Don't want anything so tame I'll want to upgrade in a few months, but I don't need an elephant gun either. Would like to also use it to "stop" would be intruders from my home also.

Remington model 1100 or 1187 in 12 or 20 gauge. Pump actions are too punishing for trap where you can fire 75-100 rounds in no time. I traded in my 12 gauge Remington 870 for a 1100 20 gauge with no regrets.

Barrels are easy to swap out for something shorter that swings easily indoors for home defense.

Tons available used in excellent condition for under $400 on gunbroker.com, pawn shops, gun stores.

Benelli autos in the 12 flavor.

Learn the simple way to pull it apart and clean it and you'll love them.

Also, Winchester autos. If you can make a mistake in buying a Winchester I'd like a detailed post.

Remember, Trap is FAST stuff.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Reminton model 1100 or 1187 in 12 or 20 gauge. Pump actions are too punishing for trap where you can fire 75-100 rounds in a short time. I traded in my 12 gauge 870 for a 1100 20 gauge and love it.
Barrels are easy to swap out for something shorter that swings easily indoors for home defense.

+1. A Remington semi is a far better and more fun gun than a pump. Many people will say pumps are more reliable. They are wrong. In 20 years of shooting gas guns in competition pumps malfunction FAR more than a good semi.

So...more reliable, less recoil. What's not to like?

I vote a Browning or Beretta O/U. I guarantee you if you go the pump or auto route, you will still want an O/U eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AlienBug
[+1. A Remington semi is a far better and more fun gun than a pump. Many people will say pumps are more reliable. They are wrong. In 20 years of shooting gas guns in competition pumps malfunction FAR more than a good semi.

So...more reliable, less recoil. What's not to like?

Right, I've fired hundreds of rounds through my 1100, I dont recall it ever jamming.

My Dad bought a Berreta semi 12 gauge synthetic, paid big bucks too, I was not impressed.

My 20ga gauge Rem handles much better and looks like fine furniture to boot. Gets lots of compliments at the range.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I vote a Browning or Beretta O/U. I guarantee you if you go the pump or auto route, you will still want an O/U eventually.

+1

I used a Browning Citori for a few years before moving up.
I thought I'd save by reloading - ended up just shooting more. That Browning was going through a case (500 shotshells) a week for practice on the average.

Do not get one with the sharp back that will knock your front teeth out.

I have and use a Remington 1100, an 870, a Mossberg 500, and a Winchester Pump all used for Trap shooting. A typical outing consists of 100-125 rounds. My go to gun is the 870 or the Mossberg 500, the recoil is very easy to manage IMO. I prefer the feel of the pump action, and with a good recoil pad even a small framed female can handle them. Opinions vary.

My next shotgun will be something from Beretta, and after that an over and under.

I've never shot trap but I have shot lots of skeet. I shot 44/50 at the local gun club with a mossberg 500 and a full choke.that $150 gun outshot the expensive guns. it definatly kicks more than my 1100. the 1100 is a better balanced gun. it just feels better. I say start with an inexpensive pump gun. once you perfect yourself on that a semi auto will be easy.

Cz 760 OR something
They have only one and it us wonderful.
Make sue u get it fitted by a good smith.

Inexpensive, smooth, can't comment on balance as I am too inexperienced in the sport.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

Do not get one with the sharp back that will knock your front teeth out.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Apparently you do not know how to properly hold a shotgun.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
a mossberg 500 and a full choke.that $150 gun outshot the expensive guns.
+1, I got mine for $80 from a guy who bought it for his son to duck hunt with. Turns out the son is NOT a hunter. Score for me...

For Price considerations alone

1. You just cant beat the value and usefulness of Mossberg 500 pump. Very reliable and functional. Best value for all purpose shotgun. I bought one in 1985 and still have it to this day. Countless dove, turkeys, clays have fallen and she still shoots great.
2. If you want to step up, the Rem 1100 is tried and true. I would the imagine the newer 11-87 is just as good. Owned several and they are great guns.
3. Great entry gun for trap is Stoeger 2000 auto. Stoeger was bought out by Beretta and use their inertia driven bolt system. It kinda like getting a corvette performance for cavalier price. Well, maybe not that extreme, but you get my point !

Our local range rents these guns out for weekend shooters and they hold up and shoot extremely well.

Id save a Browning Gold, Winchester Super X2/3, Browning Silver, or Remington 1100. The 1100 will probably be cheaper, but for me personally the Browning/ Winchesters (both made by FN) point a little more naturally.

A good semi auto will make it more enjoyable than a pump or double gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back